Chapter 33: Training Days

It had been about a week since the group had traversed the treacherous mountain during a blizzard. Despite being shaken up during the experience, they all came out stronger in the end, particularly Ash and Serena. Ever since their night in the cave with their Pokemon, they were even closer now than before. They seemed to do everything together. If Brock and Misty didn't know better, they would say the two were boyfriend and girlfriend.

Serena was really enjoying all of the time she was spending with Ash ever since she told him how she felt about him. She no longer felt extremely shy about her feelings anymore once she learned Ash felt the same way about her, even though he didn't seem to understand what the feelings were. Serena figured that Misty and Leaf had been right all along. All Ash needed was a little push. Misty had even outright asked Serena one night if she and Ash were finally together. The honey-blonde haired girl responded by saying they weren't, but they were closer than ever, and Serena felt very confident that they would be together one day.

For his part, Ash was acting far less oblivious about Serena's actions towards him, such as compliments she would give him or always wanting to do something with him. Ash, of course, was happy to oblige. He didn't think he could ever turn her down and felt like he would do anything for her. Those strange feelings would return quite often now. He felt a weird tightness in his chest when he was around Serena, or he would find he was the one blushing for a change. If this kept up, he would have to ask Brock what he was feeling, after all. The Pokemon Breeder was like a big brother to him, after all.

The group was now ever closer to Fuchsia City. They were about two weeks away now and were in luck to find a Pokemon Center out in such a remote area. It would be a great place to check up on their Pokemon. Ash also knew that Pikachu should be getting its cast off pretty soon. He had a good feeling that it would be today.

Nurse Joy smiled and greeted them as soon as they entered the Pokemon Center. "Hello!" Welcome to our Pokemon Center!"

Brock immediately took action. He ran up to the desk and leaned over it until he was right in her face. "Nurse Joy! The love I have for you is so strong! It is so mighty! It is so unshakeable! It is…YEOWW!"

"And in the end, your love for her is so hopeless," Misty sighed as she pulled Brock away by the ear again.

Nurse Joy quickly recovered from the advance Brock made on her before once again smiling. "Anyway, what can I do for you today?"

"I really would like you to check on my Pokemon, please," Ash told her as he gently took Pikachu out of his backpack and set it on the desk. Plus, could you look at my other Pokemon?"

"Ours, too!" Serena added as she showed Nurse Joy her Cubone and her pokeballs.

"Certainly!" Nurse Joy replied with a smile. She then took their pokeballs and Pikachu before disappearing in the backroom with Chansey.

The group took a good look around the lobby and noticed that this Pokemon Center was nowhere near as busy as the ones they had been to previously. This rather surprised them since it is the only one they had encountered so far since the last small village they were in once they got over the mountain. Nevertheless, the group decided to sit down and wait while their Pokemon were being inspected. Ash and Serena sat down next to each other, of course. Serena didn't waste any time in leaning against Ash's arm and giving a content sigh. Ash was the one who blushed for a change, but didn't say anything, and instead just gave Serena a smile.