Chapter 44: The Forgotten Smile

It was now late at night at the Pokemon Center in Saffron City. It was a few minutes past midnight to be exact. The lights were now completely off as all the trainers staying there had since gone to bed. Of course, just because all of the trainers were in bed didn't mean they were all asleep.

Ash Ketchum, in particular, was wide awake at the moment. He was lying down in his bed with his hands behind his head as he stared at the ceiling. Pikachu was lying down right beside him as it couldn't fall asleep, either. They were both thinking the exact same thing: the rematch against Sabrina tomorrow.

"Pikachu, do you feel as if we are ready to take on Sabrina again?" Ash whispered to the rodent so as not to wake Brock, who was fast asleep in the bed next to Ash.

"Chuuuu," the rodent replied quietly. If Pikachu was completely honest with itself, it was a little apprehensive about facing Sabrina again, too. It still remembered how Kadabra had made a total fool out of it last time. It was completely helpless while under Kadabra's Confusion attack.

"I see," Ash replied. "It's strange. I was so fired up about going against Sabrina again, but now that I'm going to, I'm a little afraid. It's one thing to say I'm ready and act determined, but it's completely different to actually be ready, you know."

"Pi?" Pikachu asked as it gave a questioning look to the raven-haired boy.

"I mean…I'm still going to face Sabrina tomorrow, but…I need some fresh air," Ash replied as he slowly got out from underneath his covers and off the bed. He then took his black T-shirt off of the night stand and slipped it before finding a pair of athletic shorts in his backpack and put them on over his boxers. He then slipped on his shoes before heading towards the door.

"Pika," Pikachu whispered as it followed Ash.

"Yeah, come on, Pikachu," Ash replied as the yellow rodent hopped onto his right shoulder.

Brock was still sleeping away as Ash quietly opened the door and crept outside, making sure to be as silent as possible. One would think Brock is an extremely heavy sleeper due to how much work he does, but he was actually a pretty light one. It must have been from having to take care of his younger brothers and sisters for so long that made Brock able to wake up at any sound above a whisper so he could care for them in the middle of the night if the need arrived.

Ash gently shut the door to his room and made his way down the hallway. Despite there being no lights on right now, there was still plenty of moonlight that shown from the window and lights from Saffron City to where he could see where he was going. He made his way into the dark lobby and out the back door where there was the open field. He remembered the last time he was on this field. He had battled Gary and his Growlithe with Squirtle. Come to think of it, Ash realized he hadn't seen Gary at all, or even talked to him since his last time in Saffron City. He wondered how his rival was doing. Did he have all eight badges yet? It probably wouldn't hurt to call Gary on his Pokegear soon to see what he had been up to.

As Ash walked to the bench that was outside the Pokemon Center, he was surprised to see someone was already there. Actually there were two others already there. One was a honey blonde-haired girl with beautiful blue eyes, and the other occupant was a small brown Pokemon with a large skull on its head who was sitting on the girl's lap. They didn't appear to be doing anything and just staring at the open expanse of land in front of them.

"Serena? Cubone?" Ash questioned as he made his way over to them and stood to their right.

The two quickly turned their heads in the direction they heard the voice and smiled when they saw it was Ash and Pikachu.