Dangerous Crossings

Everyone had seemed to settle once Jessica took control of Jaime's leash. She was carrying it quite loosely, holding onto Jaime's arm, and leaning into him.

Jaime kissed the top of her head. "Do you need a break?"

Jessica looked up at him and shook her head. "No I'm-"

Jaime pulled everyone to a halt. "You're a horrible liar, My Love."

Jaime settled Jessica on a large stump before sitting next to her. Brienne leaned against a tree while Navi and Korbyn kept watch.

Jessica leaned into Jaime and closed her eyes. He took one of her hands in his.

They had only been resting for about ten minutes or so when a man approached the party, leading a horse.

He smiled at them. "Where are you headed?"

"South." Brienne answered simply. "You?"

"Riverrun." He answered. "Staying off the kingsroad are you? They get you no matter where you go. You can't win."

"No, you really can't." Jaime agreed.

Both of them laugh kindly.

The man gave a nod. "Looks like you're safe enough though." He nodded up to Brienne. "Meaning no offense, my lady, but I wouldn't want to tangle with you. Seven blessings to you."

"And to you." Jessica responded.

The mean lead his horse away, but not fifty yards later, looked back over his shoulder at the five of them. Jaime stood and pulled Jessica up, gently, but urgently.

"He knows who I am." Jaime started to move Jessica in the opposite direction.

"He doesn't." Brienne assured him.

Jaime took a breath. "Maybe you're right. But what if you're not? What if he tells someone?"

Navi shook her head. "We're not doing that, Kingslayer. He's just an innocent man."

Jaime narrowed his eyes. "More innocent than your Khaleesi's sisters?"

The party walked in silence for the longest time, Jessica could feel Jaime still tense. They had been walking along the river for the better part of an hour when they came across a stone bridge. Brienne pulled everyone to a halt.

Jaime looked at the two options. "It's a tough decision - take the bridge and risk being seen or cross the great water."

"Silence Kingslayer." Brienne had her hands on her hips, deep in contemplation.

Navi was watching the currents. "Neither Khaleesi or myself are strong swimmers. And I don't feel comfortable making her cross the water. The bridge is a safe option."

"The Dothraki Bitch has a point." Jaime looked between the options. "Anyone can see us on the bridge, but cross the water and the current could take us or I could escape down the river."

"You wouldn't escape with Her Grace here." Brienne stated plainly. "It's the entire reason she's walking back with us."

Jaime huffed. "Fair point. She and I could escape down the river."

Brienne eyed the current carefully. "Good luck."

Jaime chuckled. "It is wonderful to watch you wrestle with these dilemmas. Which will she choose?"

Brienne finally huffed, and pushed Jaime on to the bridge.

"A gambler at heart." Jaime grinned. "I wouldn't have guessed."