Betrayals

"Tell me this isn't true?" Robb stormed into his mother's tent.

Catelyn didn't answer just took a breath and looked up at him.

The question was almost a whisper "Why?"

"For the girls." Catelyn answered quietly.

Robb shook his head. "You betrayed me. You knew I wouldn't allow it and you did it anyway. Where is Jessica?"

Catelyn looked down. "Bran and Rickon are captives in Winterfell. Sansa and Arya are captives in King's Landing. I have six children, and only one of them is free."

"That's only five of us. Where is my twin?" Robb demanded.

Catelyn Stark remained silent.

Rickard Karstark, who had been silent up til now snapped at Catelyn. "I lost one son fighting by your son's side. I lost another to the Kingslayer, strangled with a chain. You commit treason because your children are prisoners? I would carve out my heart and offer it to the Father, if he would let my sons wake from their graves and step into a prison cell."

Catelyn looked to Lord Karstark. "I grieve your sons, my lord."

Karstark spat. "I don't want your grief. I want my vengeance. And you stole it from me."

Robb began to pace. "That still doesn't answer my question, mother. Where is Jessica?"

Catelyn ignored the question still. "Killing Jaime Lannister would not buy life for your children, but returning him to King's Landing may buy life for mine."

Robb slammed his hands on the table. "Jaime Lannister has played you for a fool. You've weakened our position. You've brought discord into our camp. And you did it all behind my back. Make sure she's guarded day and night."

The guards went to escort Catelyn away but Robb turned. "Mother. I need Jess, where is she, please?"

Catelyn sighed and the two of them shared a knowing look.

"No." Robb breathed, the realization hitting him hard. He found standing difficult. "No. NO!" And Robb threw everything off the table.

Brienne pushed a hooded Jaime off his horse. She removed his hood, before helping him stand.

"Damn." Jaime groaned. "You are much uglier in daylight. What's your name? I'm Jaime of Casterly Rock, son of Tywin."

Brienne rolled her eyes and pushed him foward.

Jaime looked back. "A captive knight has the right to know his captor's identity."

"I take it he hasn't shut up." Navi came strolling up to the pair.

"Is he always like this?" Brienne glanced down at him.

Navi barked out a laugh. "Worse, usually."

"Oh don't tell me you're joining this little adventure as well. I -" Some sort of realization hit Jaime.

Jaime shook his head. "You don't leave her side. And she doesn't send you away. And -"

"And you've pieced together the rest of our traveling party." Jessica smiled, her and Korbyn joining the trio. She walked over to Jaime and placed a kiss upon his cheek.

Brienne sighed and adjusted the scarf around her head. "I still say you'd be much more comfortable with your mother and twin."

"As do I," Jaime agreed. "Lady -"

Jessica huffed. "This is Brienne of Tarth."

Jaime's eyes went up, thinking. "Tarth, Tarth, Tarth. Crescent moons and starbursts. Lord Selwyn Tarth. Your father. Do you have any brothers and sisters, my lady? It's a long way to King's Landing. Might as well get to know one another."

Navi shook her head. "Doesn't he ever annoy you Khaleesi?"

Jessica smiled. "You get used to it." She and Navi were walking in front, Jaime and Brienne following, giving Korbyn the rear.

Brienne spoke up after a few moments of silence. "I did have a question, My Lady."

Jessica turned to her. "What is it, Brienne?"

Brienne looked nervous, so Jessica pulled everyone to a halt. Brienne's feet shifted uncomfortably. "Everyone says that you are married to the Kingslayer. But how can that be possible when the Kingslayer is of the Kingsguard?"

A giggled escaped her lips. "In the sight of Gods and Men, Brienne, Jaime Lannister is my lawful husband. Married on the twenty-third day of the third moon of the year 298 AC under the command of King Robert Baratheon. We were married in the Sept of Baelor. And my dress was of all gold."

Brienne cocked her head in confusion. "But why would Robert Baratheon order such a thing?"

There was a gentle smile. "So that as King, Robert could make me his mistress, and then legitimize any bastard children we might have. All because I look like my aunt, his greatest love, Lyanna Stark."

Brienne took a breath. "Did - Did Robert Baratheon try to rape you?"

"Once," Jessica admitted. "But Jaime came to my defense." She turned around and continued walking.

"Speaking of men," Jaime looked up a Brienne, "have you known many men? I suppose not. Women? Horses? Ah."

Jaime shut up when Jessica turned and gave him a look. They had stopped at a riverbank. Brienne gently hid Jessica amongst the bushes, then forcefully pushed Jaime down next to her, giving his chains to Korbyn. She and Navi poked their head around the corner.

Jaime huffed. "I didn't mean offense, my lady. Forgive me."

Brienne tracked her eyes down the river. "Your crimes are past forgiveness, Kingslayer."

Jaime narrowed his eyes. "Why do you hate me so much? Havd I ever harmed you?"

Brienne glanced down at him. "You've harmed others, those you were sworn to protect, the weak, the innocent."

Jaime looked to Jessica. "You keep her company? My Love, she's as boring as she is ugly."

Brienne scoffed. "You will not provoke me to anger."

Jaime laughed. "I already have. Look at you. You're ready to chop my head off. Do you think you could? Do you think you could beat me in a fair fight?"

Navi came and helped Jessica up, and the group continued along the river's edge. "She's never seen you fight Jaime."

"The answer is no." Jaime nodded. "There are three men in the kingdoms who might have a chance against me. You're not one of them."

The party came to a long rowboat. Brienne picked Jessica up and set her into the bow of the boat. "All my life men like you have sneered at me. And all my life I've been knocking men like you to dust."

Jaime moved past the party and settled right next to Jessica, pecking her on the lips before laying his head on her chest and looking up at Brienne. "If you're so confident, unlock my chains. Let's see what happens."

Brienne made sure everyone was settled before climbing in, her and Korbyn at the ores. "Do you take me for an idiot?"

Jaime smirked. "I took you for a fighter, a man, pardon. Woman of honor. Was I wrong? You're afraid."

Brienne simply launched the boat foward. "Maybe one day we'll find out, Kingslayer."