Roads and Regrets

Jessica was starting to regret her decision walking back with Brienne and Jaime to King's Landing. At this point, she couldn't tell what was worse, the walking or Jaime's mouth.

Jessica had pretty much walked in between Brienne and Jaime, and currently she was rubbing her temples listening to the latest squabble.

Jaime glanced back at Brienne. "Do you know how long it's going to take the five of us to get to King's Landing walking through fields and forests?"

Brienne didn't look up at him. "Yes."

Jaime beamed. "So how should we pass the time? Any suggestions, My Love?"

Jessica sighed looking up. "One. Don't bring me into this conversation."

"By putting one foot in front of the other." Brienne mused.

Jaime huffed. "It's going to be a very dull walk. Why don't you give Jessica and myself ten minutes alone and -"

Jessica shook her head as Jaime beamed back at her. "I thought I made it clear I didn't want to be involved in this conversation."

There was a small smirk from Brienne. "I'm here to take you back to King's Landing and bring back Lady Stark's daughters in exchange. Dull is fine."

Jaime stopped walking until Jessica was next to him. "You know, it doesn't matter how loyal a servant you are, no one enjoys the company of a humorless mute. Trust me on this. People have been serving me since I was born. You think Lady Stark is going to want a giant towheaded plank following her around for the rest of her life? Or my wife for that matter? A week's journey with you and she'll order you to fall on your sword."

Jessica rolled her eyes, and took his arm. "Jaime, dear, Stop putting words in my mouth. I quite enjoy Brienne's company."

Brienne kept a neutral expression. "If Lady Stark is unhappy with any aspect of my service, I'm sure she'll let me know. She's an honest woman."

Jaime rolled his eyes. "All the good it's done her."

They party had stopped for a short break. Navi had taken Jessica a bit aways to make water, and a few moments away from Jaime.

When they returned from the group, Jessica sighed hearing the banter continuing.

"How did you come into Lady Stark's and my wife's services?" Jaime asked. "There's something we can talk about."

Brienne huffed. "Not your concern, Kingslayer."

Jaime secured his trousers, "It had to be recently. You weren't with them at Winterfell."

Brienne narrowed her eyes. "How would you know?"

Jaime grinned at Jessica. "How do you think I met my wife? I visited Winterfell. I would have noticed your dour head smacking into the archways."

Brienne yanked on Jaime's leash and moved him foward. "I've got to ask, Your Grace, how did you two meet?"

Jessica laughed as Navi settled next to her. "How did Jaime and I meet? He and his brother became lost looking for Winterfell's library. Somehow one of them provoked my brother Rickon's direwolf, and when I came out to investigate the crying, Jaime had a sword to my brother and the pup."

"And you stopped..." Brienne trailed off looking for the right words.

"She put herself between my sword and the wolf." Jaime finished the story. "And to this day I'm still debating if that was the most impressive or the stupidest thing I'd ever seen."

There was a lull in the conversation before Jaime couldn't take it anymore. "Were you pledged to Stanis?"

"Gods no." Brienne answered almost immediately.

"Ah." Jaime nodded. "Renly. He wasn't fit to rule over anything more important than a 12-course meal."

Brienne was immediately defensive. "Shut your mouth."

Jaime grinned. "Why? I lived with him at court since he was a boy, don't forget. Could hardly escape the little tulip. Skipping down the corridors in his embroidered silks. I knew him far better than you."

Brienne clenched and unclenched her fists. "I knew him as well as anyone. As a member of his Kingsguard, he trusted me with everything. He would been a wonderful king."

Jaime scoffed. "Sounds like you quite fancied him."

"I did not fancy him." Brienne answered almost too quickly.

Jaime beamed. "Oh, Gods, you did. Did you ever tell him? No, of course not. You weren't Renly's type, I'm afraid. He preferred curly-haired little girls like Loras Tyrell, you're far to much of a man for him."

Jessica leaned into Navi. "Love, no one is interested in foul rumors."

Jaime looked back at Jessica. "Unless they're about me. It's all true about Renly. His proclivities were the worst kept secret at court. It's a shame the throne isn't made out of cocks. They'd have never got him off it."

Brienne grabbed Jaime by the back of his head and put her face dangerously close to his. "Shut your mouth!"

Jaime had a sincere smile on his face. "I don't blame him. And I don't blame you, either.

He looked back at Jessica with that same smile. "We don't get to choose who we love."

Jessica let go of Navi, and over to Brienne. She gently took Jaime's leash from her.

"Your Grace, I -" But Jessica simply held up a hand to stop her.

"You could use a break. Jaime isn't going anywhere." Jessica smiled. Then she closed the distance and settled next to her husband.