Ghosts and Demons

"You swear it Jess?" Renly looked at her from across the table.

Jessica smiled taking a sip of wine. "Ren, I speak the truth. By the mother, my twin has no interest in the Iron Throne."

Renly took a long drink, studying her. "Then I see no reason for hostility between us. Your twin can go on calling himself King in the North, yourself Queen in the North if that is what you so wish. The Starks will have dominion over all lands north of Moat Cailin, provided he swears me an oath of fealty."

"And the wording of this oath?" Her mother interjected.

Renly turned his attention to Catelyn. "The same Ned Stark swore to Robert eighteen years ago. Cat, their friendship held the kingdoms together."

Jessica could see her mother considering the terms carefully. Then she spoke. "And in return for my son's loyalty?"

Renly stood. "In the morning, I'll destroy my brother's army. And when that is said and done, Baratheon and Stark will fight their common enemy together, as they have done many times before."

Renly crossed the tent to Brienne, who removed his cloak. "There is one more thing. Jessica, love, I fear my wife has grown rather attached to your company. She would request that when I sit the Throne, you would be one of her ladies. I know your twin would prefer you in the North, but we could really use you here."

Jessica knew Renly was trying to divert the topic away from the battle. "Renly, you know I am loyal. Whatever my King and Queen command, I will of course be at your beck and call."

Catelyn sighed and looked to Renly. "Our two houses have always been close, which is why I am begging you to reconsider this battle. Negotiate a peace with your brother."

Renly laughed as Brienne continued to remove his armor. "Negotiate with Stannis? You heard him out there. I'd have better luck debating with the wind. Please bring my terms to your son. I believe we are natural allies. I hope he feels the same. Together we could end this war in a fortnight."

Jessica smiled, draining her cup. "I would like that very much."

Renly beamed at her and Jessica crossed to him. Renly took her face in his hands and kissed her forehead and for once everything was right in the world. The wind whipped up, which was unusual as the weather had been calm the entire day.

Jessica froze in place as an all to familiar dark mist crept into the tent. Jessica watched it cross the floor, and take form. It was the black demon that visited her dreams just the night before.

It seemed to regard her. Eyed her carefully, and bared it's teeth. Jessica could only stare, telling herself that this was the end. This is how she'd die.

Her last thoughts were of Jaime.

Brienne gasped out, hand on her sword. The demon turned from Jessica, stabbing Renly in the back, through his heart. There was a deep gasp from Renly as the spirit hissed and dissipated.

"NO! No." Brienne lunged forward to catch Renly as he collapsed to the ground.

Two of the soldiers rushed into the tent and surveyed the scene.

The first guard spoke to Brienne. "Follow me."

The second guard interjected. "You'll die for this."

Brienne made short work of the guards.

Catelyn seemed to get her wits about her. "Girls we have to leave."

"I won't go." Brienne sobbed against Renly's body.

"They will hang you for this." Catelyn reasoned. "You can't avenge him if you're dead."

She tried to lead both Jessica and Brienne to the door. Brienne stopped them both. "Not that way."

They quickly grabbed Navi and thr three of them began making their way back to Robb's camp. They stopped a ways up the river to water the horses. Jessica thoughts were back to the demon.

"It looked like Stannis." Brienne pulled her out of her thoughts.

Catelyn shook her head. "To me it looked like....a shadow in the shape of a man."

"In the shape of Stannis." Jessica agreed.

"Not you too, Little Wolf." Catelyn sighed. "We should reach Robb tomorrow."

"Will you stay long, My Lady?" Brienne turned to Catelyn.

Catelyn looked from Jessica to Brienne. "Only long enough to tell Robb what I have seen. After that, I will leave for Winterfell. My two youngest need me. I've been away from them for far too long."

Jessica gripped the reigns, but Navi came over and pulled her down, deciding that this is where they would camp for the night.

Brienne watched her carefully. "I never knew my mother. She died in a birthing bed when I was very young."

"What comes after is even harder."

Brienne shifted to the fire. "Once you're safely back amongst your own people, will you give me leave to go, my lady?"

Jessica whipped her head to Brienne. "You mean to kill Stannis?"

"I swore a vow."

Jessica shook her head. "Stannis now has 100,000 more bannermen at his disposal. And his own guards are sworn to keep him safe."

Brienne shook her head and patted Jessica's leg. "I'm as good as any of them, My Lady. I should never have feld."

Jessica took Brienne's hand and gave it a squeeze. "Renly's death was no fault of yours. You served him bravely."

"You have a kind heart." Brienne gave a smile.

"I loved Renly too you know, Brienne, in my own way. But he's gone now. And you serve nothing and no one by following him into the earth. Renly's enemies are mine and Robb's enemies as well."

Brienne searched Jessica's face. "I do not know your twin, my lady. But I could serve you and your mother, if you would have me. You have courage. Not battle courage, perhaps, but, I don't know, a woman's kind of courage. And I think that when the time comes, you will not hold me back. Promise me that you will not hold me back from Stannis."

Jessica looked to her mother and then to Brienne and stood. "When the time comes, I will not hold you back."

Brienne rose and drew her sword, then bent the knee to Jessica. "Then I am yours, my lady. I will shield your back and give my life for yours, if it come to that. I swear it by the Old Gods and the new."

"I vow that you shall always have a place in my home and at my table and that I shall ask no service of you that might bring you dishonor. I swear it by the Old Gods and the new."