Capture the Imp

"My Lady, I'm glad this partnership is working splendidly." Varys sat the table opposite Jessica and Navi. Jessica smiled, taking a sip of wine. Petyr Baelish had been right. Having a network of spies proved useful and she knew more palace secrets than she probably needed too.

Jessica didn't trust Petyr Baelish. No, she didn't trust him as far as she could throw him. That's why she sought out Varys. And after a lengthy conversation, seemed to have found much common ground.

Varys eyes wandered down. "I couldn't help but notice, My Lady. That pendent, is made of Weirwood? That wood is hard to obtain south of the Wall."

Jessica smiled, her hand immediately touched it. "A wedding gift from Jaime."

Varys gave a nod. "A golden lion too. Your Kingslayer did put some thought into that."

Jessica eyed him carefully. "There's a Direwolf embossed with Valyrian Steel on the other side." She turned it over. "The chain is Valyrian Steel as well."

"You know, even the Queen doesn't have Valyrian Steel jewelry in her collection."

"And why are you telling me this Lord Varys?" Jessica sat up a little straighter, immediately putting Navi on high alert.

"Just food for thought, I assure you My Lady." Varys gave a complacent smile.

There was a sharp knock on the door. A servant could barely open it fast enough.

"Jessica!" Jory stalked in.

"Jory!?" Jessica stood. She hadn't heard things from her Father or sisters in nearly a week.

Jory was immediately looking her over for any bumps and cuts and bruises.

"Jory I'm fine." Jessica pulled him up trying to reassure him.

"What did the King do?" Jory had a firmer tone than he ever had.

"Jory I don't -" Jessica began. But then looked over to Varys.

"I do have Little Birds everywhere. And while they saw. It wasn't me who informed your Father."

Jessica sighed and closed her eyes. "Baelish."

"Could be. Could be the Queen. Could've been anyone who had spies. A servant even. It's hard to tell."

"He wants to see you." Jory took Jessica's hand.

Jessica looked from Varys to Jory and nodded. "Of course he does."

Jory gave a nod to Varys before leading Jessica and Navi away.

"You should have came to your Lord Father and -" Jory began before Jessica cut him off.

"And tell him what?" Jessica pulled Jory to a stop.

Jory opened his mouth to speak but suddenly thought better.
Jessica continued on. "Tell him that the King, Robert Baratheon, my Father's best friend, decided he wanted to bed me because I looked like my dead aunt!" Jessica threw her hands up in exasperation.

"Yes!" Jory countered. "He's your Father. His job is to make sure you, his daughter is safe!"

Jessica shrank back, her arms wrapping around themselves. "Jaime was there."

Jory gave her a look, then scoffed. "Only because The Kingslayer has an image to uphold. If word got out you became the King's Mistress, what an upheaval that would be."

Jessica opened her mouth and shut it. Was her marriage really that loveless? And was she really to blind to see it?

The ascent to her Father's office seemed to drag. She was dreading this confrontation. She didn't want to be the one to shatter the image of his best friend.