A Crown of Gold

Jessica was seated on the couch. Navi with a wet cloth was cleaning her cheek.

"It's not deep. Just a scratch really." Though the cloth was now mostly red than white.

Jessica barely heard what Navi was saying. She was too deep in her headspace. Why had her Father taken Tyrion prisoner? They were now family by law. And Jessica did know what he could have done to provoke her Father's wrath.

"Why?" Jessica looked at Navi.

"Why what Khaleesi?"

Jessica sighed. "Nevermind."

Navi sighed, placing down the rag. "He didn't do it to cause you pain. He didn't do because he was cruel. He didn't do it because of you. You heard your Father. He took Jaime's brother on his command."

Jessica got up, folded her arms and began to pace. "And that's what I don't understand." She closed her eyes and bit her lip.

The door flew open, Jessica knew Jaime was angry. She opened her eyes only to be met with his own. He was closer than she was expecting.

His eyes never met hers, he was transfixed on the scratch her cheer donned.

"I'm fi-" Jessica began, firmly.

"Don't you dare finish that sentence." Jaime's eyes flicked to hers.

"It probably won't even scar."

Jaime scoffed. "Have your handmaidens pack. We're leaving the city. Have them pack quickly."

"Why?" Jessica took a step back from him.

But Jaime did not answer her. Instead he was running around the chamber, shouting orders at his men.

By the time that they were leaving, only Navi traveled with her. Alyssa and Audrey were left to care for Sansa and Arya.

They rode hard and fast. It didn't take long for Jessica to determine their destination.

"We're heading towards Riverrun." Jessica dared a glance at Jaime.

"My Father has his camp along its boarders." Jaime confirmed.

Jessica's lips thinned. "And when my Grandfather, Hoster Tully, or my Uncle, The Blackfish, receives word I'm so close. Then what?"

Jaime looked back at her. "I told your Lord Father that I'd kill for you. That statement still stands."

Jessica gave Navi a look but remained silent. When they reached the first inn, she was just grateful to be off the horse for the night.

Jaime had seen to the men, Jessica was up in her room. Did she do it? Would she dare to write? But to who? If she wrote to Robb, or her Mother, it would be weeks before a reply and Jessica would already be deep into Lannister territory. Her grandfather? Hoster Tully had been quite ill most of her life. Not to mention, she was five the last time she saw him.

If she wrote to Uncle Blackfish, a war was inevitable. Jessica took a breath she dipped her quill into the ink and wrote.

My dearest, Jon

Words cannot describe how I miss you. I hope The Wall  has lived up to your expectations. Me? I am currently traveling with Jaime, close to Riverrun. If Gods be good I will one day convince my husband to travel North and I will pay a visit to you.

All my love, all my heart,

Jessica

Jessica let the ink dry before she sealed it up and handed it over to Navi to have it delivered. Jessica got up, looked out the window. The sun was already starting to set, meaning she probably should head to supper.

Jaime was already seated at a table, staring out the window. Jessica had barely walked past him to sit across from him when he caught her hand.

The two of them stared at each other before he placed her on his inside. Protected, possessive. Jessica couldn't quite pinpoint his objective.

When Jaime looked at her, he never quite looked at her. His eyes landed on the scratch on her cheek.

Jaime's arm slipped around her as he nestled her against his side. His chin resting on her shoulder. They held each other's gaze. Before Jaime gingerly leaned over and placed a kiss on her cheek. Right against her cut. He let his lips linger, his forehead pressing against her temple.

It was his way of apologizing. Jaime's way of owning his mistakes, taking the blame.

Jessica had never been angry with him. She was the one who had put herself between him and her Father. She was the one who thought she could be the voice of reason, before blood was shed.

Jessica curled into Jaime. She felt him smile against her cheek.

"You can't be exhausted already. I haven't even done anything."

Jessica scoffed, but smiled. "You can blame it on the traveling."

He sighed. "Unfortunately we have a harder ride tomorrow."

Jessica groaned. "Look when this whole thing is said and done, I better have a dragon as my reward."

"Sure, let me just add it to the list of everything else I have to do." Jaime pulled back, looking at her intently.

"Just make sure it's at the top of the list." Jessica smiled brightly.

They both began laughing and Jaime shifted Jessica to his lap. It was good to see him happy. To see him relaxed and not so ridig as he had to be in King's Landing. This was the Jaime she wanted to know more of. This was the Jaime Lannister she could be in love with.