Untitled Part 33

With the final three races of the season a triple header you hadn't been home in weeks. You had missed your own space and knowing where everything was unlike the hotel rooms you had spent almost a month living out of. What you hadn't missed was the pile of mail to sort out. Three stacks were neatly comprised on the kitchen table: one each for Lando, Charles and you. A quick skim through them found most were the usual culprits - bills, fan mail and junk - but two stood out.

A thick brown envelope had a return address for Oxfordshire, England and you tore it open with a squeal. "I got it!"

Your shouts had Lando and Charles dropping the suitcases in the bedroom and even Autumn looked up from where she was playing with her toys in the living room. "Guess who's back on the grid, baby!"

Your feet were lifted off the floor as you were bear hugged from the front and back, kisses peppering your cheeks that ached from the wide smile.

"Congratulations, love."

"Knew you would do it, amour."

You couldn't keep still as you reread the welcome letter and the others picked through their mail.

"Huh," Lando huffed as he opened an envelope similar to one you also received. "That's weird."

"It's not another pair of panties, is it?" you asked, the item making an unfortunately common appearance in their mail.

"No, it's from the Vegas Chapel."

You tore open your envelope too and skimmed over the letter that confirmed the marriage to Lando had been successfully submitted to the State of Nevada, and accepted. "Wait, that's not right. Who submitted it?"

Charles rushed through his pile searching for the same envelope but there was nothing for him. His brows furrowed and he grabbed the two letters, holding them side by side to see for himself. "What about me?"

A lump formed in your throat and you curled your arms around him. "We'll figure it out, baby, it's got to be a mistake."

It wasn't a mistake.

Well, it wasn't a clerical mistake but the human kind, where the minister's assistant had missed the conversation about the marriage not being legal. She had submitted the paperwork with the rest of the chapel weddings and since yours and Lando's document was on top it was processed first. The other two were rejected.

You were legally married to Lando, for better or for worse.

"We should get ready," you murmured, not really feeling in the partying mood but Max had returned from the FIA awards and wanted to celebrate his championship win.

In the week since getting the letter, things hadn't been the same. Charles was withdrawn, Lando was full of remorse, and you were left trying to figure out a way to reunite your family. Even Autumn was picking up on the tension in the house and was fussier than usual.

"You can tell Max I am sick," Charles muttered from the couch he sank into, clutching a cushion to his chest so he could rest his chin on it.

"You're not sick."

"I feel sick."

"We all feel sick," Lando added before curling a finger your way and you followed him down the hall to the office. He had spent most of the day locked in the room, talking with lawyers about the best option. It was too late to annul the marriage, he found, and neither of you really wanted to go through the paperwork for a divorce - but if it saved the relationship with Charles then that is what you would do.

"Steph can draw up the documents," he said after closing the door and dropping into his computer chair. "We just need to go through our assets and figure out whose is whose."