Untitled Part 14

Round One - Bahrain 2023

"Nice work out there," Lance said as he clapped you on the back as you began your return to the motorhome smelling like champagne.

"You too, not a bad start at all," you said with a grin. It was the first race and already you had scored a podium for Aston Martin, albeit behind both Red Bulls.

"Not sure your boyfriends would agree. Have you seen them yet?"

You sighed and shook your head. Charles had out-qualified you, both Ferrari's starting a row ahead, but in the end he hadn't been able to finish the race. Lando wasn't much better, coming in last with who remained in the race.

"I'll hunt them down after I find my mum. She's probably lost and confused by now."

"She'll get used to the paddock soon enough. It must be good to have her finally come to your races."

"I'm not sure she would say the same thing," you chuckled. "Did you see how nervous she was at testing last week? Thought she was going to have an aneurysm when she heard my top speed."

"Dad was like that when I started too." Lance opened the door for you to the Aston Martin motorhome and grinned at the cheer that erupted. The race had only finished an hour ago and already the motorhome was being dismantled to move on to the next destination.

"One more race like that and we'll already have more points than we had all of last year," Lawrence said as he threw his arms around both you and his son. "Sensational! That'll show the bastards at Red Bull they have a competition on their hands this year."

"Can't wait," you smirked at the idea.

Lawrence squeezed your shoulder. "Show them what a mistake they made, alright?"

"With pleasure. Thank you for giving me the chance."

Lawrence sighed and took a seat at an empty table, pointing you to the one opposite and he sent Lance off to get changed. "You're a great driver, there's no disputing that, so I'm happy to have you on the team - especially if you keep performing like you did out there. You could have an entire harem for all I care."

"I'm happy with two, thanks," you said with a laugh. "It does suck not being able to go out and celebrate though."

You had received a warning letter before the season began with an outline on which countries you would be arrested in for showing any PDA, same with Lando and Charles. Bahrain was one and the next stop in Saudi Arabia was another. Lewis had tried to speak up but his influence couldn't change the laws that were going to be upheld and there would be no leniency.

"I'd rather not have to bail you out of jail so early in the season."

"I can cover bail, just don't rip up my contract," you joked. "Please."

"That wasn't right. I have a daughter so I know full well the different treatment you ladies get no matter what you do." He leaned forward and lowered his voice as he jutted a thumb over his shoulder, "They don't even seem to remember Checo's scandal in Monaco last year. It just goes to show that it wasn't because their 'core values' were breached. Red Bull is led by misogynists. End of."

"Well don't hold back, Mr Stroll." You grinned at your boss and sat back in your seat feeling even more comfortable with your choice in employer. You had offers from Williams and Alfa Romeo, as well as a reserve driver for Mercedes, but you were glad you took the Aston Martin seat, even if green wasn't your best colour. "I feel like I should set you up on a soap box outside their garage."

"I've found they don't pay much attention to words, we'll just have to beat them instead," he said as he rose from the table and wrapped his knuckles on the wooden top. "Have yourself a good evening."