Untitled Part 19

Round Fourteen - Dutch GP

It was the 1-2 finish you should have had a year ago and thankfully Max didn't crash into you this time. Standing beside him on the podium as the home crowd cheered almost brought tears to your eyes. It wasn't your 'home' race like it was for Max but the people had adopted you under their flags and banners anyway.

"What's your plans tonight, zusje?"

"It's date night," you said with a grin before handing over the jeroboam bottle of bubbly to your team. They deserved a piece of the celebration for their hard work on the car and you didn't want to get drunk before the night began. "Charles is heading to Maranello tomorrow for testing so we are going to celebrate our first anniversary tonight."

Max's mouth parted in shock and he brushed a hand through his damp hair. "It has been a year already? Did anyone remind Lando?"

You rolled your eyes at his theatrics. "He's not that bad at remembering dates."

"Not that bad," he echoed with a mocking tone. "He would be screwed without you and Charles to remind him."

"Then it's a good thing he has us," you said as you waved to the crowd one last time before heading off the platform and back to the garage. You parted ways from Max as you went to the Aston Martin hospitality and he diverted to the Red Bull one. He was going to visit Jos while he was in the country, and you were glad he didn't ask you to come, it saved you both from the awkwardness of the situation.

Lance looked defeated as he sat alone in a booth, everyone giving him a wide berth. Steering away from the path to your room, you took a seat opposite him.

"Tough race," you commented softly.

His shoulders bounced with a laugh that held no humour. "Not for you, you got points." His hands fidgeted with a napkin and he tore it to little shreds as he glared at the engineers walking into the motorhome.

"You looked like you had a good break, did you do any sim work while you were on holiday?"

His lips twisted into a sneer and he shoved the rubbish across the table, the paper drifting onto your lap like snowflakes. "I can have a break and still keep up with my training."

You rolled your eyes as he pushed off from the table. "That's not what I meant, Lance. I practised with the new upgrades last week and it really changed the drivability. I was just making conversation."

"Sure you were," he huffed as he grabbed his bag from under the table and left.

Cleaning the napkin off your suit, you stood up and felt your stomach grumble at the smell coming from the kitchen. One more stop on the way to your room, you thought as you headed to the chefs.

"You have hardly touched your food," Charles said with a frown as he saw your plate still full while his and Lando's were empty. "Do you not like it?"

You clutched your stomach and pushed the plate away. "I ate too much before we left, damn chef's were making waffles in hospitality."

Lando chuckled at your weakness but happily took your plate and stabbed his fork into the schnitzel. "So I guess you won't want dessert then, pretty sure I saw stroopwafels on the menu."

You perked up even with your stomach bloating and protesting the thought of any more food. "I might find room to fit one or two more."

"I thought so," he chuckled before reaching under the table for his bag and producing a gift box. "I know we said no presents but I'm terrible at listening and got one anyway."