Untitled Part 3

Summer Break

"I really fucked up." Your voice was barely above a whisper, the sound hoarse from all the crying. You were curled up on your side on the couch in Pierre's apartment in Milan, your head on his lap as his hand ran up and down your arm in comfort. "He's never going to forgive me."

"He's your brother, he'll forgive you," he assured you once again. "I've said way worse things to my brothers. Maybe this break is exactly what you need, get away from Max for a few weeks, have some space."

"And Lando, and Charles." You groaned as you rolled onto your back and stared up at your closest friend. "You have a bear in the cave."

"Gross, don't look up my nose," he said as he pushed you off his lap.

"I can't help it, it's the angle," you laughed as you sat up before sobering. "Have you spoken to them?"

"Lando was heading back to Monaco to spend the holidays with Luisa, and Charles was on his way to the Alps to meet up with Charlotte."

You sighed at the mention of their girlfriends and Pierre gave you a look of pity that you resented. Pulling your phone out, with the determination to move on from the silly crushes that had developed over the years, you opened the Raya app and shifted closer to him. "Can you help me?"

"Sure," he said, taking the phone and locking it. "I'm taking you on a road trip."

"That's not what I meant."

"Ah, but I think it's what you need."

Round Fourteen - Netherlands

You reunited with the team for Max's home race and a sea of orange filled the stands, all cheering for their Lion. You had tried to talk to him when you arrived at the track but you didn't know what to say to repair the rift you had made. Every time you opened your mouth, nothing came out.

"That one's for you," Lance said as he tapped your elbow.

"Huh? What? Yeah, totally," you rambled trying to recover from zoning out thinking about the three weeks of silence, not only with Max but Lando and Charles too. You had sat beside the Canadian on the sofa, the furthest point from the others and it hadn't gone unnoticed. "Sorry, what was the question?"

"You look like you enjoyed your vacation with Pierre. It was quite different to how you usually spend your down time."

"Because I was sober?" you teased. "My liver needed a break, as did my PR team, and it was really quite fun. Exactly what I needed actually and it was great to reconnect with Pierre since he upgraded to Yuki."

You could feel three sets of eyes on you from the other end but then the conversation was diverted their way and you sagged back into the couch. That was until you heard the news that the holiday had been dubbed 'break-up season'. Both Spaniards had become single in the first week, Logan and Lando in the second and Charles in the third. It had been quite the shock to their fans.

If Pierre hadn't removed your social media for the break you would have known all of this but instead you had to find out on stage with dozens of cameras capturing the surprise on your face.

The second the interview was over you chased after Lando and finally caught up to him at the McLaren motorhome.

"Hey, can we talk?" You were aware that there were still plenty of cameras around, and it looked like the Netflix crew were scheduled to his team too. "Somewhere private."

He didn't exactly look happy at the request but his eyes softened as you quietly begged, "please, Lan?"

"In here," he sighed, taking his cap off and running a hand through his hair as he opened the door to his room. The door clicked shut behind you and you looked around the small space, the air still humid and smelling like his body wash from the shower he took before the media conference.