Untitled Part 11

"That was my race line. I had the inside line!"

"Snooze you lose, Max Emilian." You flipped your visor up as you faced the teenage boy who confronted you. "You're lucky this was just practice."

"Don't think I'll go easy on you in the race just because you are my sister."

"Half sister." You corrected as you pulled your helmet off, making the older boy's cheeks turn pink at the reminder. "Don't cry too much when you get beaten by a girl, Verstappen."

"I'm 15 years old, little girl," he said as he looked down at you, "I don't cry."

--

You glanced at the backdoor and debated taking your chances with the six foot fence blocking your escape. With your luck you would probably break your ankle and miss the rest of the race season, something you would prefer not to happen.

"Run?" Lando double checked as you heard car doors closing loudly, the thuds reverberating in the quiet neighbourhood. The option was taken as you failed to make a decision before the door opened without a knock. Seeing you tense, he placed a hand on your knee under the table and gave it a squeeze. "Brave face, baby."

The slap of feet running on the wooden floors stole your attention but they weren't heavy enough to be Max's and you turned with open arms to catch the toddler.

"Hello Penelope," you greeted her as she climbed up onto your lap and waved to Lando and Charles. "You've grown again!"

"P, what have I said about running off," Max huffed as he stepped inside the doorway, stopping under the archway that connected to the dining room.

Covering Penelope's ears, you pinned your brother with a glare. "Dick move bringing P into this."

He shrugged innocently as he buried his hands in the pockets of his shorts. "Kelly's working, and she misses you."

It had been a while since you spent time with her since you didn't go to Max's place as often, opting to spend your time with Charles and Lando. Letting your hands fall away, you pointed to the kitchen. "There's some muffins in there if you want. Are you hungry?"

She nodded eagerly and Lando pushed his chair out, offering his hand for her. "I can help you, P. Want a glass of milk too?"

"Nice shirt," Max said with a little laugh as he noticed what Lando was wearing. "Did you lose a bet?"

"Maybe I just like wearing my boyfriend's clothes," he said with a daring arch of his brow. "Is that a problem?"

Max looked at his feet with the smallest shake of his head.

"I have a boyfriend too!" P exclaimed as she jumped around excitedly, tugging him out of the room. "His name is Brodie and he lets me use his crayons."

You shared a smile with Charles as the two chatted their way to the kitchen, their voices growing even quieter when the backdoor opened and they took their muffins outside to eat. The moment the door clicked shut the smile fell from your face.

"What are you doing here, Max?"

"I didn't get a chance to talk to you after the race," he said as he walked into the room, his eyes scanning the walls to see if there were any new pictures since he last visited. "Nice win."

"Bullshit," you scoffed as you pushed your chair out and rose to your feet, not liking how much smaller you felt with him standing. "I should have crashed out at least three times. It was just luck that I finished the race."