Untitled Part 4

Black smoke billowed out of the pan you thought you had turned off and you rushed to toss it in the sink before opening a window. The breeze was a moment too late to clear the air of the dark tendrils snaking higher and they soon reached the smoke detector, the piercing sound of its alarm filling your kitchen.

"Shit," you cursed as you tried to jump and hit the detector to shut it off but you were just too short. "Double shit."

A knock sounded at your door and you threw it open, grabbing whoevers hand it was and dragging them inside. "Thank god, hit that fucking thing for me will you?" you asked, realising it was Charles who had arrived on time, unsurprisingly.

His nose wrinkled at the heavy stench of smoke and he rose onto his toes to reach up and turn off the alarm. "You look like you have been, um...creative."

You smiled at the attempt of a compliment before laughing at the situation. In the cold pan on the stove were the chicken breasts that were meant to be frying and you slapped your forehead as you realised you had turned the wrong element on. "Looks like we are going out to dinner, which is probably safer. I don't think I could have kept my promise not to give you food poisoning by the looks of it."

"I'm not dressed to go out," he said as he looked down at his polo and chinos.

"Are you kidding me? You look like a damn model."

"Thanks. It's not easy being this handsome," Lando said as he walked in the front door that was still open, a bottle of wine in his hands. "I see your cooking skills are as good as mine."

"Har-har," you drawled as you reached into the cupboards and got three wine stems out. "Liquid dinner it is."

"Haven't you sworn off drinking?" Charles asked as he rummaged around your cutlery drawers, finding the corkscrew for Lando.

"Pfft, that was just for summer break to stop the PR team from riding my ass," you said with a grin. "Plus, you two won't let me get into trouble. At least not too much."

The cork popped open and Charles took the bottle from Lando to read the label. "I don't think we have anything to worry about," he laughed as he handed the Prosecco back.

"What?" Lando asked with a frown as he turned it around to see the label. "The lady at the shop said this was good."

"Sure, for an afternoon at the beach, but it won't get you drunk."

You took the bottle from his hands and kissed his cheek to erase the pout on his face. "It is the perfect starter course, and my bar is fully stocked with the hard stuff."

"No," Charles sighed as he took the bottle and poured three drinks. "I'm sure there is something salvageable to eat. No drinking on an empty stomach."

You raised your glass to him. "I wish you luck, my kitchen is cursed."

He tapped his glass with yours and winked. "No such thing as curses, watch me."

You sat with Lando at the kitchen table as he showed you some photos he had taken throughout the year that hadn't been posted online, keeping you entertained with stories that would get him in trouble if they ever got out. Every now and then you would check on Charles who familiarised himself with your kitchen, opening and closing all the cupboards and drawers before sighing.

"Admit defeat yet?"

His green eyes narrowed at you from across the room. "Never. I just can't find any- oh nevermind. What is this monstrosity?" He pulled a large jar out of the fridge and grimaced at the sight.

"Crushed garlic," you said obviously but he grew even more offended by the jar as he held it at arms length away.

"Unbelievable," he muttered as he opened the lid and sniffed it. "It will do, I suppose."