Untitled Part 16

Silverstone Grand Prix

Lando hadn't stopped moving all night. If he wasn't dancing, he was circling the club and talking to everyone that had come out to celebrate his second place finish at his home race, or DJing. His excitement had been infectious enough to replace the disappointment from the seventh place finish for you and the ninth place for Charles.

"Mamour, dance with me," Charles begged as he appeared behind you, a drink in one hand and the other on the small of your back. His palm rubbed soothing circles and you leant back into the touch with a groan. "Does your back still hurt?"

The porpoising of the car had been horrific and even Kristian's hands hadn't been able to ease the ache after the race, but you didn't want Charles to worry as you turned to face him. "Yeah, it's sore from carrying my team."

His laugh warmed your ear before his cold lips kissed the space beneath. "That's my girl."

"Yes I am, now where is our boy?" You scanned the crowd looking for Lando but instead found his parents dancing together and sharing whispers. "I was always jealous of you guys."

"For what?"

"That. Having parents that loved each other. I thought I was missing out on something," you said with a nod to Adam and Cisca before clearing your throat at the unexpected wistfulness that arose. "I'm just going to get some fresh air. Why don't you find Lando and I'll meet you there?"

You didn't wait for an answer as you escaped the busy room to the balcony on the upper level. Clouds of flavoured smoke greeted you from the people who had gone to vape where they were allowed and you squeezed through until you found a small pocket of space in the back corner.

"You look like you could use this more than me."

You looked at the joint the stranger offered, more than likely some friend of a friend of Lando's, and you raised your hand to wave away the smoke that drifted your way. "No, thank you."

"Go on, it'll help you relax."

"I don't need to relax, alright, so just fuck off would you?"

"Woah, lovie, calm down," he laughed before taking a long drag and blowing the bitter sweet smoke in your face.

"Don't tell me to calm down," you bit out, barely feeling the burn of the spliff in your palm as you snatched it from him. "And I'm not your fucking 'lovie'-"

"Baby. Babe! What's going on?" Lando slid between you, forcing the stranger back as he took your hand and swore. "What the hell did you do, Jakob?"

"Nothing, bro, you're girl looked like she was stressing," Jakob said with an innocent shrug. "I was just trying to help."

"H-help?!" you stammered as your hands turned to fists with the growing anger burning hotter than your hand. "I would lose my seat you fucking imbecile. Your idiot friend was trying to get me to smoke weed."

"Why are you getting angry at me?" Lando asked as he stepped back. "I was coming to see if you were alright. Just calm down for a second, love."

You had seen Romain Grosjean's car explode when he crashed in Bahrain, heard the audible pop that rippled through the air before the wall of flames erupted. You imagined that something similar was happening inside you. "Don't tell me to calm down," you hissed quietly as you felt the stares of everyone on the balcony. "This is fucking calm."

Lando's eyes were wide as he reeled back, his jaw dropping at the tone you took. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I guess I am my father's daughter." You felt your lips tugging though there was nothing to smile about and it was as if you were a passenger in your own body. You couldn't control the words as they tumbled out of your mouth with a harsh laugh.