Untitled Part 9

The tiny village of Wickford in Essex had been your sanctuary since you first moved there at ten years old. Your mother had thought the sleepy little town would be good for you after the news of your parentage became public knowledge and the place you loved most was suddenly suffocating. She thought some time away from the karting world would be best.

Arriving back in the town that never seemed to change eased the ache in your chest that had been there since Max opened his mouth. It wasn't gone completely and you weren't sure it ever would. Of all the things he could have said, he knew that would hurt the most because you loved your mum above all else. She was your biggest supporter even if she couldn't come to the races.

The Range Rover Lando had hired after landing in Southend should have been inconspicuous but when the majority of the town drove a Vauxhall it caught the attention of the teenagers lingering on High Street. You only hoped the windows were tinted enough to keep your arrival private for a little longer - but it was only a matter of time before word got out. It always did.

The drive had been quiet as you sat in the back seat with Charles, resting your head on his shoulder after the tears had run dry. The only time you spoke was to give directions to the small two bedroom bungalow on the quiet cul de sac that had remained your home at heart even after moving to Monaco.

No amount of money offered could get your mother to move, you had tried. You had offered to buy her sprawling estates that had names instead of street numbers, you had offered her luxury apartments, you would have offered the world - but she was happy in the home she had worked hard to buy, and had worked harder to keep over your head when times were tough. 

"It's cute," Lando said with a smile as he pulled into the driveway.

The agapanthus plants that lined the garden were budding with big heads of flowers and it was overgrowing onto the driveway, brushing the sides of the SUV. Trimming the plants was always your chore as a teenager during summer break and you hated it, complaining the entire time about how unfair life was. It didn't seem so bad now.

The weathered front door opened before the car even came to a stop and you felt lighter the moment you saw your mum step out, a welcoming smile on her face. The engine had barely turned off and you were out of the car, expertly dodging the pavers that never sat level and into her open arms.

Flour dusted her clothes, a damp tea towel hanging on her shoulder and the mouthwatering smell of fresh baking clung to her as you hugged her tight.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" she asked as she pulled back and held you at an arm's length to see your face. "You haven't hugged me that hard since you moved out."

Her eyes darted to Lando and Charles as they climbed out of the car and you could see the question in her eyes. "Not them," you said as you shook your head. "I hope it's alright if they stay with me? We can get a hotel if not."

"Nonsense, we can make space," she reassured you with a squeeze before you felt a hand on the small of your back. "Aren't you going to introduce us?"

"Don't let her fool you, she knows exactly who you are and probably all your stats too," you said over your shoulder.

"I'm allowed to keep an eye on your competition, honey."

"I'm Charles, and it's lovely to finally meet you," he said as he offered his hand.

"Please, any friend of my daughter gets a hug. You too, Lando," she laughed as she opened her arms for them. "You must be special, she never brings anyone to meet me," she whispered loudly.

"Mum..."

"What? It's true. The last person you brought here was Max. Oh, speaking of, he called wanting to know if you were here." Before you could open your mouth she held a hand up. "I figured if you didn't tell him where you were it was because you didn't want him to know."