Untitled Part 17

Belgium Grand Prix

Doctor Turner didn't know where to look. She had started off looking at you but once Charles started to speak her attention was turned and then Lando chimed in too. Her poor neck was straining with flitting back and forth between the three of you sitting across from her desk.

"I think it is the stress," Lando said as he squeezed your hand.

"I think it is the medication," Charles countered, a familiar argument brewing. "Things started to change after she started taking it."

Dr Turner hummed as she made her notes and prompted him for more as he fell silent. "Changes such as?"

You zoned out of the conversation. The whole appointment was a result of the family meeting they had called and the information was nothing new to you. You were moody, you were tired, you were hungry. Charles had been the one to suggest it was the hormones from the contraception. He had even gone so far as to unfold the very, very large sheet of side effect information hidden in the box.

"-and her weight."

"Thanks, Charles. Love you too," you muttered.

"Not like that, chérie," he said as he turned to face you, cupping your cheek gently. "You are beautiful and I love your body, but you are training a lot harder with Kristian to maintain your race weight and you didn't have to do that before."

That much was true. The team had even stopped putting sandbags in the car for testing since the car was no longer underweight. You had thought your fireproofs had shrunk in the wash when you pulled them on in Hungary last weekend and the sleeves had cut into your wrists. There's skintight and then there's skintight.

​​"Those were all possibilities we discussed at the time," Dr Turner said with a nod. "They are quite common with hormonal contraceptives so you likely wouldn't find any change with the alternative options like the injection or the rods."

"See, told you this was pointless. I just have to deal with it."

"Or you could stop taking them," Lando suggested.

"Given the choice...you want to go back to condoms?"

"As much as we enjoy the benefits, it's not worth it if this is the cost," Charles answered for the both of them. "Just stop taking the pills for a while and see how you feel."

You sighed with defeat but you accepted the plan with a nod. "At least I'm stressed enough that there'll still be no periods. Yay for me."

Lando snorted a laugh at your sarcasm but Charles didn't find the humour as he shook his head and thanked Dr Turner for fitting us into her busy schedule. It wasn't as busy as yours since you needed to get to Côte d'Azur Airport to catch a ride with Max to Belgium, you and half the grid apparently.

"Well that was a waste of time, and now we need to go shopping for condoms," you muttered as you left her office and got in your car. "Do you think Costco sells them in bulk boxes?"

"I am not buying cheap Kirkland branded condoms," Lando said with a cringe. "Fuck that."

"You also said you would never do dry July but here we are," you pointed out.

"Except for that one night after Silverstone," Charles added as he started the car.

"Doesn't matter, I'm not risking anything less than Durex. I'd rather trust myself to pull out."

You looked at Charles in the rearview mirror before you both broke out in a fit of laughter as you shook your heads at the idea.

Lando was offended.