23.

BELLA ran down the stairs to go open the door. Elexia hesitated in the doorway of the bathroom for a moment, unsure if she wanted to follow after her. She sighed and walked slowly down the stairs, lingering on the second to last step. Jacob was at the door.

He was standing far away from the door, his nose twisted as if he smelt something nasty. Elexia looked down; his hands were shaking at his sides. His expression was hard, evident he was holding back anger. Her eyes traveled behind him, seeing Jared in the driver's side of Jake's car and Embry in the passenger.

"Hey," Bella said at last, following Jacob's silence.

Jacob pressed his lips together tightly. His eyes glanced around, searching for Alice.

Bella clenched her jaw and gritted her teeth. "She's not here. Do you need something?"

Jacob paused before speaking. "You're alone?"

"Well, aside from Lexi, yes." Bella sighed.

"Can I talk to you a minute?"

"Of course you can, Jacob. Come on in."

Jacob took a quick look over his shoulder at Embry and Jared. Embry shook his head a bit. Elexia frowned at that.

"Chicken," Elexia heard Bella mutter angrily.

Jacob's eyes streaked back to Bella, his face enraged. He clenched his jaw and strided into the house, pushing past Bella, who then closed the door.

Jacob was standing in the hallway, looking into the living room.

"Slumber party?" he inquired, sarcastically, of course.

"Yeah," Bella's response was just as acrid. "What's it to you?"

He scrunched his nose up again. "Where's your 'friend'?" His voice took on a snobby tone when saying the word 'friend'. Elexia rolled her eyes.

"She had some errands to run. Look, Jacob, what do you want?"

His arms were shaking in his anger. He ignored Bella, walking into the kitchen. Bella followed him. Elexia remained on the steps, peering at them through the doorway.  Jacob was pacing back and forth along the counter.

"Hey," Bella said, stepping in front of him. He stopped his pacing and stared at her. "What's your problem?"

"I don't like having to be here."

Bella grimaced. Jacob's eyes narrowed.

"Then I'm sorry you had to come," Bella spoke under her breath. "Why don't you tell me what you need so you can leave?"

"I just have to ask you a couple of questions. It shouldn't take long. We have to get back for the funeral."

"Okay. Get it over with then." Bella said.

Jacob sucked in a breath, his face going blank. Elexia listened carefully to the conversation which was about to take place.

"One of the Cullens is staying here with you," he said.

Elexia held her breath. Though they'd gone months without issue, she was still terrified that somehow the wolves would find out about Rosalie, Emmett, Amethyst, or Melody. She was lucky they were careful, and also that Jacob was never anywhere near her house. Otherwise, they would have been found out long ago.

"Yes. Alice Cullen."

Jacob nodded, a careful expression on his face now. "How long is she here for?"

"As long as she wants to be." Bella spoke, her tone hostile. "It's an open invitation."

"Do you think you could... please... explain to her about the other one – Victoria?"