19.

THE drive to La Push was eerily quiet. Bella and Elexia both were very tense. The latter was thinking all sorts of gruesome scenarios, some where more humans got hurt, some where the wolves got hurt. She was finding it hard to believe that Jacob could be a killer, but at the same time, the evidence was right there. People were being attacked by large wolves.

Elexia was doing her best to believe that there was some other explanation. They couldn't be killers, she refused to think like that. She'd met some of them, they were all kind, well-mannered boys. Why would they be killing people? Did the wolves need to eat people, like vampires did? She couldn't recall Carlisle, or any of the other Cullens, mentioning that, but maybe she just didn't remember. She would have to call Carlisle whenever she got a moment and ask him some questions, if this visit was inconclusive.

If they were truly innocent and there was something more sinister going on, like Victoria– Elexia cringed at just the thought– they deserved to be warned that humans were now looking to kill them.

Finally, Bella parked in front of Billy and Jacob's house. Elexia glanced over at her. She looked incredibly tense, understandably so. As it was still so early, there were no lights on inside.

They got out of the car, wordlessly. Elexia had Gaia's car seat in her grip because she wasn't going to leave her daughter alone in the vehicle, no matter how short the visit was. Bella pounded on the front door, her anger coming to life in her fist.

"Come in," Billy shouted. A light came on in the house.

Bella opened the door, which was already unlocked. Billy wasn't in the kitchen, he was leaning through a doorway. The girls could see that he was in a bathrobe. When his eyes landed on them, at first he was shocked, and then his face turned cold.

"Well, good morning, Bella, Elexia. What are you two doing up so early?"

"Hey, Billy. We need to talk to Jake – where is he?" Bella asked.

"Um... I really don't know," Billy's lie was obvious.

"Do you know what Charlie is doing this morning?" Bella inquired, losing her patience.

"Should I?"

"He and half the other men in town are all out in the woods with guns, hunting giant wolves."

Billy's facade cracked for a brief second, some sort of emotion flickering on his face for a fleeting moment. However, he slipped his mask on right as it happened.

"So we'd like to talk to Jake about that, if you don't mind," Bella carried on with what she was saying.

Billy pursed his lips, pondering what to say before he answered. "I'd bet he's still asleep," he motioned with his head to the hallway."He's out late a lot these days. Kid needs his rest – probably you shouldn't wake him."

"It's my turn," Bella talked under her breath. She motioned for Elexia to follow as she began walking towards the hallway. Billy sighed as they did so. Elexia felt guilty, and even a little intimidated.

Jacob's room was incredibly tiny. Bella didn't check to see if he was awake, or doing something in there, when she opened the door loudly, causing it to slam against the wall.

Jacob was uncomfortably laying on his bed that took up pretty much the whole room. He was far too long for it, his feet and head hanging off of it. He was in a deep sleep, snoring with an open mouth.

The sight of him seemed to invoke a strong emotion from Bella as she practically flinched and stepped out of the room, closing the door.

They walked back to the front room together, where Billy was waiting. He stared at them, partly curious but partly tense.