TWO KINDS OF SMILES

Jihyun sat in his room, running his hands over the smooth leather of the books the princess gave him. He fled the library as soon as the prince agreed to meet him later, his mind blank as he navigated the snowy pathways. Munyeong greeted him in passing, promising to bring dinner once the sun had set. The sky darkened as the hours ticked by, and Jihyun did not move from his seat. At some point he tried to read the first volume, but his mind could not focus on the words before him. His vision blurred, focusing and unfocusing on the flickering flame of the candle on his desk. He bent forward, resting his cheek on his forearms. The world became distant as he drifted into sleep.

~~~~~

An eerie mist dampened his face, so thick he could barely see the row of white buildings before him, their black roofs jutting out into the gray sky. Cypress trees crowded the alleyways, their needles scattered across the murky water of the canals. His own footsteps were the only sound, the scratch of fabric on stone.

"Hello?" He called into the mist, eyes squinted as he made out a pale green light in the distance. The hazy orb flickered, then disappeared behind a building. Jihyun quickened his pace, jogging lightly to follow its fading glow. He rounded the corner, sliding on the mossy cobblestone. His chest burned as he raced after the light, mindlessly navigating the twists and turns of the village. The ground below him turned to mulch, crunching beneath his weight. The earthy scent of the wet forest invaded his lungs, the moisture making it hard for him to breathe. Before him, the green light hovered in place, taunting him as he struggled up a slope.

"You're mind, prince, it is so very full of desire." Jihyun paused at the sound of a woman's voice. Her words pierced through the mist, and the green light dissolved above him. With its brilliance gone, he could make out two figures in the distance. He recognized the silhouette of the prince on his knees before a woman in white. Jihyun lowered himself, hiding behind a tree. The woman raised an arm, the pointed nail of her index finger pressing against the prince's forehead. "There is no end to the things you want. No end to your greed," she continued. A white veil covered the lower half of her face, yet her dark eyes expressed a violent emotion. The mist seemed to radiate from her like smoke, heavy with the scent of jasmine.

"Do you truly think you can obtain it all without some sort of sacrifice?" She spoke to the prince one-sidedly, unphased by his trance-like state. Suddenly, the prince twitched, his body spazzing as he collapsed to the forest floor. Jihyun gasped, stepping out from behind the tree. The woman whipped her head to the side, pinning him in place with her gaze. A beam of pale sunlight flared behind her, and Jihyun could make out the shadow behind her veil. Could make out the dark smile that stretched to her ears. She gazed down at the prince again, at his convulsing body. Her eyes shone with that eerie green light.

"Oh, what's this?  You already know. That this boy will die because of you."

~~~~~

"Jihyun! Jihyun. Wake up!" The panicked voice of the prince invaded Jihyun's consciousness, startling him from his dream. Jihyun locked eyes with the prince, stumbling out of his chair at the closeness of his face. The prince reached out for him, but Jihyun scrambled backward across the floor. His heart pounded in his ears, and his chest felt tight with the sensation of fear. "Jihyun, calm down. It's alright. It seemed like you were having a nightmare," the prince murmured, crouching down in front of him.

"A... nightmare?" Jihyun panted. It didn't feel like a nightmare. It felt real. Like the shattered dishes. Like the prince's bare back.

"Yes, you were muttering in your sleep, like something unpleasant was happening. Do you get nightmares often?" the prince inched ever so slowly closer to Jihyun as he spoke, careful not to startle him. Jihyun watched him with wide eyes, barely daring to blink. The prince didn't press him for an answer, instead choosing to sit beside him in the moonlit darkness. They stayed like that for some time, Jihyun's breathing calming with each passing minute. At some point, the prince stretched out on the floor, watching Jihyun carefully through his dark eyes.

"Was it about me?" he finally asked. Jihyun glanced down at him, pressing his lips together. "I suppose that is a yes, then," the prince sighed, rolling on his side and propping his head up on a bent arm. Jihyun hung his head, hugging his knees to his chest. "Do you want to tell me about it?"

Jihyun studied the prince from the small space beneath his arm. You already know. That this boy will die because of you. He shuddered at the memory, squeezing his eyes shut. A warm hand wrapped around his ankle, rubbing soothing circles against his skin.

"You said there were things you could not reveal to me, as you could not yet ensure my safety." Doyoon's fingers paused.

"Indeed."

"Will...will knowing those things get me killed?" At those words, the prince sat up, using his grip to pull Jihyun to him. The servant startled, raising his hands up to the prince's chest to stop from sliding into him. The prince's gaze was serious, containing a cold edge Jihyun had grown unaccustomed to.

"Did someone say something to you?"

Jihyun shook his head. "No, I was simply curious," he whispered.

"It is not something to be curious about. Just know that I will never let any harm come to you. Ever."

Jihyun bowed his head, digging his fingers into the fabric of the prince's robe. "I don't know how I'm supposed to trust you. I don't even trust myself anymore." The prince stroked Jihyun's hair, struggling to find the right words to comfort him.

"I cannot pretend to understand what you are going through, what I have inflicted upon you. I cannot expect nor do I deserve your trust, but do not doubt yourself. Follow your heart. It is the only thing in this world you can understand the true nature of."

"Even if it leads me away from you?"

"Yes, even if it leads you away from me," the prince nodded with a sad smile.

As if in a trance, Jihyun raised his hand, tracing the outline of the prince's lips. "When you say that, are you following your heart?"

The prince grabbed Jihyun's hand, grazing his lips across the servant's knuckles. "What a cruel question to ask me."