THE GOOD IN GOODBYE

The crown prince watched with a heavy heart as Jihyun said his goodbyes. Practically the whole camp had shown up to send him off, and Doyoon would have been a fool not to notice the hostility mixed in with the sadness. Hostility directed at him. Chang and Minjoo made their way over to the rest of the group, securing final items and checking their horses.

"It seems he is well-liked. Such a person would make a great accompaniment to you being King, and the people will like that he is a commoner, even if the officials don't," Minjoo said, snatching his sewing kit from Chang's arms.

"Do not speak of such things yet. I will remind you all again as we embark on this trip. Do not mention the coup, and do not mention our bond."

"Yea, yea, we get it. So who's he riding with? I think he should go with me, he's totally my style. Besides, Minjoo can barely handle a horse with just him on it," Chang said merrily, fastening the singular bag that contained all of Jihyun's possessions to his own horse. When Doyoon had first seen the measly belongings of his fated, his mind instantly lept to all the treasures he would gift Jihyun once they returned to the palace. His fated would never be without again.

"You truly want to die today, don't you? Although I think the Crown Prince will get to you before I do. Jihyun is his fated, it is inappropriate to make such jokes. Besides, it would only succeed in scaring him further," Minjoo scolded Chang with a light slap to his arm. However much it displeased the crown prince, it would indeed be best for Jihyun to ride with Chang. The servant would certainly refuse to ride with him, Minjoo was indeed less than skilled at horseriding, Songmin refused to share a horse with anyone, and Jaeon insisted he needed to be free of any additional hindrance to ensure the crown prince's safety. That left Chang, a capable rider, although an insufferable flirt.

"He can ride with you, but I suggest you listen to Minjoo and mind your manners, or you may lose your hands as well as your tongue. " The prince warned, swinging onto his horse with ease. "We need to head out if we wish to make it to the campsite by nightfall. Minjoo, get Jihyun over here," the prince ordered, trying to ignore the nervous twisting in his gut and the prickling sensation creeping along his arms. In truth, he was nervous about bringing Jihyun to the palace so soon, knowing Jihyun's distaste for him would only grow since he was forced to leave his home. But Doyoon couldn't delay his return any sooner, and the crown prince only felt he would truly have a chance at winning over his fated once they were far away from the place where he had made such a wretched mistake. The crown prince had to tear his eyes away from the scene of Minjoo coaxing Jihyun out of his friend's arms, instead turing to face Jaeon, who was watching Jihyun with apprehensive eyes. Sensing the prince's eyes on him, the guard met his gaze.

"I understand that you ordered me to protect him, but I will put your safety first, your highness. I must be vigilant, especially since you were so quickly infatuated with him."

"That's the magic of finding the one with which you walk the moonlit path," Chang tugged his horse close enough to Jaeon so he could pat the muscular man on the back, "not that I'd expect you to understand, you emotionless oaf." Both men ceased their conversation as Minjoo and Jihyun go closer, coming to a stop before Chang's horse. The crown prince watched Jihyun intensely, but the servant refused to look at him.

"You'll be riding with Chang, if that's okay," Minjoo said, offering an encouraging smile. Jihyun whipped his head to look between Chang and the seamster.

"Can't I ride with you?" Minjoo shook his head, opening his mouth to respond, but Chang beat him to it.

"Minjoo's shit at riding a horse. If he had to steer with both of you, you'd either end up lost or dead. I, however, was ranked first amongst my division for horse riding. Besides, hasn't everyone dreamed of being swept off their feet and riding into the sunset with a dashing gentleman such as myself?" Chang ended by giving his signature lopsided grin, and the crown prince couldn't decide if he should feel relieved or angry at how that seemed to cause some of the tension in Jihyun's shoulders to lessen.

"If that's the case..." Jihyun hesitated, but took a step towards Chang, accepting the soldier's outstretched hand. Chang spun Jihyun around by his hand, then slipped his hands beneath Jihyun's armpits. "Does it hurt if I grab you like this?"

"N-no, but-"

"Okay, great, jump on three. One, two...three!" Chang lifted Jihyun onto the horse, settling the smaller man in front of him. "How's that? You feel alright? You look a little pale."

"Probably because you just tossed him around like a sack of rice," Minjoo muttered as he mounted his own horse.

"It's just that I've never been on a horse before. I'm quite scared of them actually. One nearly bit me when I was younger," Jihyun murmured, visibly trying to keep as little of his body from touching the horse as possible. Not to mention that the last time he had gotten near a horse, it resulted in his current situation.

"Don't worry about it. Ol' boy here doesn't bite. And I won't either, unless you ask me too," Chang said with a wink, patting the neck of his horse with firm taps. Jihyun's cheeks flushed at Chang's teasing, and he couldn't help the smile that tugged at his lips. Park Chang was quite funny, and he seemed to Jihyun like a male version of Sulhee: assertive, charming, and full of dirty jokes. Perhaps he could get through this trip, with Minjoo and Chang by his side, it would not be so unbearable.