THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES

When Jihyun awoke the next morning, Minjoo was already up, arranging a collection of various hairpieces, makeup, and fabric across the table. "How are you feeling?" Minjoo questioned upon noticing Jihyun wake. Jihyun sat up, wincing as his skin tightened when he pulled back the covers.

"I am doing well, thanks to your help. I want to apologize for last night," Jihyun muttered his apology in an ashamed whisper. "I shouldn't have been so short with you. And at the bathhouse too, I don't know what came over me. I gave everyone a hard time." He didn't say it, but Jihyun recalled the prince's touch, his frantic voice. He seemed genuinely concerned for Jihyun, but it didn't make sense. Perhaps, if what Minjoo said was true, and the crown prince could be kind, he was being too hard on the crown prince by refusing to speak with him.

"There is no need to apologize. You have been through a lot. It will only get harder from here. The palace is not an easy place to live." That's right. The palace. In the chaos of the night before Jihyun had almost forgotten that today they would enter the palace. "Come here, let's check your wounds one more time before you get dressed."

Jihyun's lashes faded significantly during the journey to the capital, after scabbing over and eventually flaking off, shiny white scar tissue had been left behind. As for the scratches, most of them had lost their angry red color and were faint pink lines decorating Jihyun's arms, legs, and chest. Frowning slightly as he applied a bitter-smelling ointment to Jihyun's scratches, Minjoo wracked his brain on how to cover Jihyun's wounds while also helping him maintain a courtesan appearance for their cover story. Sheer fabrics were out of the question unless he layered them with an opaque material. Sighing, Minjoo sat back, wiping his hands on a towel before plucking at the array of clothes on the table. Jihyun watched silently as Minjoo became focused, a crease appearing between his tailored brows. Truthfully, Jihyun had no talent for fashion, as back at the camp he wore the same three outfits interchangeably, all of them a similar brown color. Still, it wasn't like he didn't have an interest, in fact, Jihyun had always been fascinated by the women when they painted their faces with rouge and added glittering metal pieces to their hair. On the rare occasion that a noble lady would pass through, Jihyun couldn't help but admire their fancy gowns and ornate makeup.

"Let's see, try this first," Minjoo instructed, helping Jihyun dawn a sheer red robe, fastening it around his waist with a loose bow. Then he draped a thick green robe embroidered with purple and yellow flowers and birds on the sleeves over Jihyun's shoulders, pulling the servant's arms through the fabric. Jihyun reached to fasten the outer robe, but Minjoo swatted his hand away. "Leave it, it's supposed to stay open, it fits our concept. Besides, your chest is the least damaged, so it's best suited for showcasing." Jihyun only frowned, looking at his warped reflection in the yellow-toned mirror and picking at his clothes. While he was pleased to be wearing such finery, the flashy and provocative nature of the clothes did not suit him. "I know it's uncomfortable, but it's just until we get to the Crown Prince's palace," Minjoo reassured, rolling the various hairpieces around the table until he found one he liked. "Alright, come sit down." Jihyun followed Minjoo to the vanity, picking at his fingers anxiously as Minjoo arranged a collection of accessories in front of him. "Put these on-" Minjoo motioned to a pile of rings and bracelets, "while I do your hair. Let me know if it hurts." Then Minjoo combed fervently through Jihyun's choppy locks, his agile fingers from years of sewing made quick work of gathering Jihyun's hair into a braid that lay flat against his scalp and ran down the middle of his head. The braid ended without a tail at the nape of Jihyun's neck, so Minjoo pinned a bun made of dyed horsehair to the end, securing it with two interlocking gold combs. After attaching matching gold cuffs to Jihyun's ears, Minjoo reached for the last item on the table. A silken red cloth attached to a golden chain unfurled in front of Jihyun's face. "A mask. The Crown Prince requests that we hide your face. Besides, I think you'll feel more comfortable that way." Jihyun didn't get a chance to ask why the prince wanted his face hidden before Minjoo draped the mask below Jihyun's eyes and tucked the gold chain behind his ears.

The jewelry and clothes were foreign to him, but a part of Jihyun felt like he had gained some of his weight back. His scalp once again felt burdened due to the metal hairpieces. Instead of the steady weight of hair on his back, his fingers, wrists, and neck were cloaked in jewelry that warmed to match the temperature of his skin.

"Alright, all done. How do you feel?" Minjoo asked after pulling away, returning the small pot of black cream he used to line Jihyun's eyes to the vanity. While Jihyun had been lost in thought, Minjoo had applied a generous amount of rouge around the outer corners of Jihyun's eyes, blending the color out across his temples and cheekbones. A small flower of the same color bloomed in the center of his forehead, and small lines resembling eyelashes fanned around his lower lash lines. It was absolutely beautiful, and Jihyun didn't feel like himself. The masked and painted image before him didn't match the turmoil roiling in his gut. How was he supposed to make sense of this? With a back full of scars and fingers covered in jewels, Jihyun had shaped into someone entirely different in barely a month. Still, he did not voice these vicious and confusing thoughts. Instead...

"It is beautiful. Thank you very much." Because what else was he to say. A sudden knock at the door startled both men, then Chang's voice, far too chipper for so early in the morning, filtered in.

"Requesting entry to meet my riding partner." Minjoo rolled his eyes.

"Come in." Chang burst into the room, followed closely by Songmin. Both were dressed differently than Jihyun had witnessed on the road. Chang wore the clothes of a commanding officer, a dull red tunic and pants covered by decorative leather and metal armor, while Songmin wore the shiny green robes of a royal advisor. Both looked stunning and regal, and any comfort Jihyun had gained promptly left his body at the obviousness of their rank and power. Chang greeted Jihyun warmly, blatantly not to mentioning last night. Whether out of kindness or the fact that no one had told him, Jihyun did not know, but he felt grateful nonetheless. Songmin, however, analyzed Jihyun with cold eyes, tapping his fan disapprovingly against the palm of his hand.

"I do not think this plan will go so well, and yet the Crown Prince is adamant. He seems to have become a fool due to a certain someone," the words dripped like venom from Songmin's tongue, clearly directed at Jihyun, although why he would have any say over the prince's behavior was lost on him.

"You should hold your tongue, Songmin. Jihyun's disguise is foolproof," Minjoo ground out, the stress on his face a contrast to his confident words.

"His true nature doesn't change just because you dress him up," Songmin countered, flicking at the sleeve of Jihyun's robe, causing him to flinch. Chang forced a laugh, subtly stepping in between the two.

"You all are too worked up. I think this will go great," he gave Jihyun a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "Let's go then, shall we?"