A BIRD OF MANY COLORS

Gongjak Palace lay on the opposite side of the royal grounds, so far that Doyoon could watch as the moon grew brighter in the sky. The moment Doyoon step foot onto the grounds of his sister's palace, the Crown Prince could feel eyes on him. The princess had spies everywhere. One never knew which handmaiden or court lady would scurry back to Gongjak with compromising information. This was one of the reasons Doyoon refused additional staffing. He could count the number of people he trusted with his hands. Even to the Crown Prince, his sister was a mystery. Shrouded in proprietary and a fabricated mask, she dispelled all curiosity. On the surface, his sister was merely a dutiful daughter who spent her days in the quiet of her study. But Doyoon knew better. His sister was cunning, and could be a great help to his cause, if only she bore the same thoughts as him. He had been feeling her out over the last year, visiting more frequently with the excuse of her recent betrothal. If he needed proof that his arrival had been noted, he needed to look no further than the pavilion atop the pond, where his sister sat in wait, a steaming cup of tea obscuring her lips. Her thin eyes held his gaze over the lip of the cup, unwavering as she watched him make his way up the steps. The princess made no move to rise and greet him.

"Eunbin. I see you were expecting me." The Crown Prince made no remark on his sister's blatant disrespect. She never bowed to him, never cast her eyes to the floor in his presence. It was both refreshing and irrationally irritating.

"It is only proper for my brother to visit me upon his return, although it took you much longer than I prefer. I wonder why?" the question was pointed, almost as if she knew why already. Out of all the people in the world, Eunbin's ability to fluster the Crown Prince was second to none. It's because he didn't know where she lay. If she was his enemy or ally. A fact he couldn't confirm without exposing his plans.

"I had an audience with His Majesty. It took longer than expected," Doyoon replied as he sat across from his sister. A maid in wait came forward and poured him a glass of tea before Eunbin dismissed her. The pink color was familiar. "You are enjoying the gift I bought you?" Eunbin smiled at him, a wry humorless thing, but it made her look all the more like their mother.

"It is indeed unlike anything I have tasted before. A tea made from a rare flower. Though I was expecting a grander gift at the news of my proposal."

"A grander gift, but not as much to your liking, perhaps."

"Still, it made you seem as if you do not care for me, brother. What will others think of you? Lord Kim brought me many extravagant gifts. One would think you have no access to the royal coffers." Another jab, testing the waters. She knew of the prince's business exploits outside the palace. His attempt to garner money for the coup without transactions appearing on royal accounts.

"That is because he is to be your father-in-law, it serves him to win your favor." Deflect, neither deny nor confirm her suspicions. It was the only way to deal with his sister, as she did the same.

"It is unnecessary." The words were dark, Eunbin's gaze turning cold. Although his sister made it difficult to know her feelings, Doyoon understood her enough to recognize that her betrothal to Songmin made her unhappy. "If you have come to discuss my marriage then I find this conversation need extend no further."

"Songmin is a fine match. I approve of him." Although Songmin was not in love with the princess, he was indeed one of the few men Doyoon saw as a worthy partner for his sister.

"I do not need nor want your approval, brother.  His marriage to me is practically a punishment. Imprisonment. Do you think I would find fulfillment from a relationship like that?"

"A love match is not promised for us, Eunbin."

"But it seems a sure thing for you. Who is that man you brought into Horangi Palace? And do not lie to me, I know you would not allow one of General Chang's conquest into your abode."

"You were spying on me." Doyoon raised an eyebrow, but it was not a question.

"You act as if you do not do the same to me, sending that woman to lurk around. Now answer my question."

"You seem to have come to your own conclusion about who he is, based off your previous remark." The princess leaned back, crossing her arms. The siblings held each others eyes, an unspoken battle raging between them. Admit it. Her eyes seemed to say. I already know. Doyoon was once again torn by his sister. Could he trust her with Jihyun's identity? For all he knew she'd display him to the court and reveal everything. His sister had no issue revealing others secrets.

"You may not wish to answer, but your silence tells me enough. If he is precious enough to you to keep your mouth shut, I already know who he is."

"Then? What will you do?" Doyoon could only hold his sister couldn't hear his pounding heart, see his fingers twitching against the cup.

"I have no interest in your romantic pursuits, I'm more curious as to how you realized this information. I know you did not hold a proper blood binding ceremony." The blood binding ceremony. It usually takes place during a wedding, but can be performed separately. The two partners each add a drop of blood to a basin filled with water. If the water turns blue, it indicates that one has found the person with which they walk the moonlit path. Not everyone is able to hold such a ceremony, though. The water must be blessed by a witch beforehand, making it a rare and expensive commodity.

"There is only one way for one to know such things. My visit to the mountain was not for training." Eunbin's eyes widened a fraction, the only indication of her suprise.

"Witchcraft? You know the royal family is not permitted to mingle with witches." It was an old law, meant to prevent the royal family from abusing their power.

"And you know very well that our own father does not adhere to that." It was true. The King was known to take counsel from an infamous witch, one that could wring the truth out of people with a single glance. Some claimed he posed the ability to read minds, but it was a bit more complicated than that.

"Even if that witch showed you who he was, how did you find him?"

"I had already met him. He was a servant at the training camp." Doyoon couldn't keep the bitterness out of his voice. If only he had gone to see the witch first. Then he would have known. Eunbin pursued her lips as she watched her brother's face twist.

"Very well. In any case, what do you want?" Their tea had grown cold, and the lantern light flickered on its last legs of life.

"Do you know anything about father appointing a new royal inspector?" Here it was, a test, to see if Eunbin suspected him, and if she cared.

"Is there a thing in this palace that happens without my knowing?" Quite possibly, the prince thought to himself. After a pause, the princess continued. "But yes, I have heard of such a thing. It is strange though. He has no history of a prestigious family, or an abundance of wealth. The appointment is entirely too strange for my liking. I suspect father's witch had something to do with it." Doyoon hummed in thought, processing the information. Her conclusion made sense, most unusual choices from the King were influenced by the witch who frequented the palace.

"Why are you asking? I'm surprised you've heard, considering you've been away."

"I have my resources as well," the Crown Prince said, rising to his feet. "It's getting late, I'll be on my way." With that Doyoon left, disappearing into the darkness. Eunbin watched him retreat, tapping her cup with her index finger, the steady clink clink clink echoing in the night.

"Should I send someone to follow him, your Highness?" Her maid stepped out from the shadows. The princess shook her head.

"Not tonight. He is already suspicious of us. Besides, his guard will be joining him on his way back, and it is best not to catch that mutt's attention."

"What about Lord Songmin? Should I request his presence tomorrow?" Eunbin sat quietly, staring into the distance. She rose abruptly, shaking out her draping sleeves.

"See too it. My future husband should learn to greet his wife upon his return home."