HAS ONLY THE SNOW FALLEN

Jihyun's mind was racing. Images of his nightmare replayed over and over again in his mind as he ran. Despite having visited Mungunghwa Pavillion only once, his feet led him there without faltering, crunching the dead leaves that littered the ground as winter crept toward the capital. Tears pricked his eyes as the frigid wind whipped his face, his unbound hair scattering in every direction. When the two drooping willows entered his sight, Jihyun stumbled to a halt. Between the trees, a familiar scene greeted him.

The crown prince faced away, his head lowered like the willows as he gazed into the pond. Jihyun watched him for a moment, catching his breath. From a distance, he saw the crown prince shudder, leaning over the railing. Heart thundering, Jihyun steeled his nerves and stepped forward. Surely it would not happen as he saw. Surely not. He could do little but check. As before, Jihyun silently ascended the steps, but the prince stirred, straightening suddenly. Jihyun froze, and a painful beat passed before the prince turned around.

"Jihyun." The prince's voice was thicker than he remembered it, his eyes red and face pale.

"Your Highness," Jihyun whispered, forcing himself to move forward.

"I thought I told you to call me Doyoon?"

"Munyeong said you were asking for me. That you had something for me," Jihyun evaded the question.

"Ah, yes, well..." the crown prince hesitated, slipping his hand into his thick cloak. Jihyun shivered, realizing his state of underdress for the weather. "I was trying to think of things I could do for you. To ease your frustrations."

"My frustrations?" Jihyun pinched his brows together, apprehensive.

"This was the best method I could think of," the crown prince withdrew his hand, revealing a whip. The whip. Blood drained from Jihyun's face as the prince extended his arm, offering the weapon to him. "You said you wished to hurt me the way I hurt you. For now, that is one of the wishes I can grant." Jihyun shook his head, taking a step back.

"That is not what I..." the words died on his lips. Seeing his hesitation, the prince stepped forward, grabbing Jihyun's hands and placing the whip in it, wrapping his own hands around it so Jihyun couldn't let go.

"Do not fret. I have explained the situation to Jaeon. No harm will come to you. So whip me. Until you feel assuaged and your heart content. No one will stop-"

"Why would this make my heart content! In what way would this make me happy!" Jihyun yelled, hot tears falling onto their clasped hands. "Why do think-" Jihyun gasped for air, "Why do you think I would want to even touch this thing!" he screamed the words, ripping his hands from the prince's hold. The whip hit the floor with a thud, lying between them like a venomous reptile. Jihyun shut his eyes, turning away. He would not let it happen. He would not let the prince bare his back to him.

"It's snowing." Jihyun opened his eyes, whirling around.

"What?" The prince's eyes were glassy, dazed as he stared out at the pond.

"It is snowing." Jihyun frowned, walking around the whip and to the prince's side.

"It is winter. It is not strange for there to be snow. Besides, we were just-" Jihyun paused. The crown prince of Byulran was crying.

"It has not snowed in the capital for thirteen years. Not since my mother died. But now, for the first time in over a decade, snow has fallen. And for the first time, you are here." Finding he could not hold the prince's intense gaze, Jihyun looked away, swallowing the lump in throat. He could not stand to see others cry, for he always followed them. The prince cleared his throat awkwardly, returning his eyes to the pond. The pair watched the snow fall in silence. At some point, the prince noticed Jihyun's shivering and offered his cloak, tying it securly around the servant's neck and covering his wild hair with the fur-lined hood. Jihyun whispered a thanks, and they resumed their silence for some time, watching snow gather on the willows.