A NEEDLE BEATS A SWORD

The crown prince growled at Minjoo, rising to his feet. "You best watch your tongue, tailor, I'll only allow so much disrespect."

"Cut the bullshit, your highness, you've done enough, and now your scaring the everlasting daylight out of this kid. I could barely tolerate your order, but for you to rush back here to what, to gloat? To terrorize him more? You may be an ass, your highness, but you were never this cruel." Minjoo let his words fall like a tirade, all the thoughts he kept to only facial expressions now pouring out all at once. But the crown prince could not bring himself to be truly angry, because he understood why Minjoo in particular was so sensitive to his treatment of Jihyun, and knowing what he knew now, it made him happy that one of his friends was willing to stand up for his fated.

Behind him, Jihyun gasped, coming out of his stupor to grab the ends of the Crown Prince's robes. "Please, your highness, do not take your anger out on the lord, he is saying it only for me, please do not mind his-" Jihyun stopped as the Crown Prince lowered himself before the servant, his breath faulting as the sharp and handsome man placed a hand on his head, running rough fingers through his hair.

"You do not have to beg me for anything. And I'm not angry with Minjoo because he is speaking on behalf of you, in fact, I wished he had said so sooner, before I made such a terrible mistake." The prince's hand trailed down Jihyun's bandaged back.

"Your Highness, what is going on here?" It was Songmin who spoke this time, his face a mask of poorly veiled intrigue.

"Yeah, I'd like to know, too. Also, get your hands off him, can't you see he's terrified of you?" Minjoo cut in, finally being released by Songmin as both Chang and Jaeon entered the room. They all knew Minjoo wouldn't make a move against the prince with Jaeon in the room. Upon the seamster's observation, the Crown prince sighed and withdrew from Jihyun.

"It is a long story, and I do not feel like explaining it now. I want to stay with Jihyun until he recovers," the prince turns towards Jaeon, "send word that our departure will be delayed for a few days, we cannot leave until Jihyun is well enough to travel." Jaeon, at least, did not falter, did not ask questions as he bowed and left the room, but the other three were in uproar.

"He's coming with us, why?" Chang peered curiously at Jihyun, who curled in on himself even further. One of the old maid's words echoed in his mind, about how the city men were worse than those of the camp, how he should watch himself around them. Suddenly nauseous, Jihyun blew out a shuddering breath and pressed his hands to his stomach. He didn't want to think about such things, but the presence of four hostile men in the room only served to overwhelm him. He could not fight back against them, injuries or not.

As if sensing his distress, the prince barked at the others to leave the room, still providing no explanation. "Like hell I'm leaving you in here alone with him. Absolutely not. If you're staying in here, I'm staying." Minjoo protested as he stalked to the corner of the room nearest to Jihyun and sat down, crossing his arms. The prince grit his teeth, but relented, "Fine, you can stay. But the rest of you, get out." Both Songmin and Chang fled the room, seemingly more afraid of Minjoo's wrath than the prince's.

"You, go ahead and rest," Minjoo encouraged, flashing Jihyun a smile that assuaged his fear only a little. Not knowing what else to do, Jihyun returned to the mat and placed his pounding head on the pillow, drawing the blanket tight around him.

"Shouldn't he eat something?" Jihyun watched the prince's feet pace back and forth across the floor. "I doubt he'd be able to swallow anything while looking at your face," Minjoo spit back. The crown prince let out a frustrated groan, collapsing to the floor in a frustrated heap inches away from Jihyun's head. The servant kept his eyes shut, feigning sleep if only to avoid the attention of the bickering duo. But true sleep came soon to claim him, and Jihyun couldn't tell if it was his exhaustion, pain, or the sharp, woody scent of the crown prince that lulled him to sleep so quickly.