A LION THAT'S LOST ITS MANE

Jihyun couldn't stop thinking about the Crown Prince. It had been nearly a week since his arrival, and the terrible incident with the snacks, but all Jihyun could think about was how the Crown Prince was way more handsome than the rumors made him out to be, and perhaps he was... a bit scary too. But Jihyun didn't think just because he was scary meant that he was as evil as others claimed him to be. So Jihyun thought about the prince, and thought about him some more, as Sulhee brushed out his long shiny hair.

"Are you really not going to let me braid it this time? It would look so pretty, all done up, with some pins and-"

"We don't have any pins, Sulhee. Besides, all that stuff would make my head too heavy to do any work," Jihyun mumbled, picking aimlessly at his threadbare clothes.

"But it'd still look really pretty, wouldn't it?" Sulhee sighed as she swept Jihyun's hair into a ponytail. Jihyun nodded, a faint smile on his face.

Dressed for the day Jihyun went about the camp, cleaning and moving things and mostly, trying to catch a glimpse of the Crown Prince. Rumor had it that the Prince and his party were leaving to do some  nearby expedition, and Jihyun's heart fluttered with the hope of seeing that handsome face again, even if he couldn't dare muster up the courage to approach him. To be honest, along with his infatuation, Jihyun's fear had grown too. Even if he wasn't a ruthless monster, he was still the crown prince, and would never see Jihyun as anything other than lesser.

Unfortunately, Jihyun did cross paths with the crown prince as he left for the expedition. Jihyun rounded a corner, peeking his head around the basket of laundry in his arms. Jihyun never saw himself as brave, or heroic, but he had a strong moral compass and a deep compassion for his fellow man. So when Jihyun saw a young servant girl heading straight towards the hooves of the Crown Prince's horse, he did the only thing such a selfless person thought he could do, and threw himself in front of the girl, and seemingly, the prince as well.

The whole camp went quiet. Even the wind stilled and the birds seemed to silence as the dust from the horse that had violently reared finally settled. And admist that silence, Jihyun and the Crown Prince locked eyes. It happened so fast, and barely a word from anyone was spoken as two men came and dragged Jihyun away, towards the center of camp, where a whipping post remained erected all days of the year. Distantly, Jihyun was aware of Sulhee and the other servants screaming, pleading with the Crown Prince on his behalf. He felt numb as he was shackled to the ground and forced to his knees. It didn't feel real, it was happening too fast. It was not to say that Jihyun had never been punished before, but they were never harsh. His superiors and equals were all fond of him, and he always did his work diligently and without complaint, so why now, so late into his life, was he expected to bear the bite of a whip for the first time?

"You have insulted the royal family and delayed the Crown Prince's mission-" Jihyun jerked his head up to see the Crown Prince's guard, Jaeon, speaking from several yards away, where someone had set out a chair for the Crown Prince to watch the punishment comfortably. "As such you have been dealt an appropriate punishment, as selected by the Crown Prince himself. By order of the Crown Prince, you shall receive forty seven lashes..." Jihyun's eyes blew wide and for some reason, he desperately began searching the prince's face. Their eyes met, and for the first time since his arrival the prince's face showed emotion: satisfaction, and some sick sort of amusement.

"And shall have your hair cut from your head, to show the world your grievous sin."