WORTHY OF WISDOM

Doyoon cursed as he tripped over the root of a tree, nearly losing his hold on Jaeon. The guard stirred, groaning as he leaned against the prince.

    "Jihyun, will you please just- hold on!" Doyoon shouted ahead, where a drunk Jihyun swatted at the branches tickling his face. "Come here and help me with him," Doyoon grunted, firmly grabbing the arm slung around his neck. The prince's wounds burned where his sweat mixed with blood, but he couldn't rest before returning safely to Horangi palace. It was a miracle they made it to the gardens without being spotted.

    "Why is he sleeping? '' Jihyun turned around, his body following his head as he tilted to the side. "Wake up. Wakey wakey," Jihyun grinned as he grabbed Jaeon's face with both his hands and shook it side to side. "Wake up! Doyoon is tireddd," Jihyun slurred, pulling on the guard so hard it jerked Doyoon forward.

    "Alright, nevermind. This isn't going to work. How about you go on ahead and see if there's anyone who can help." Jihyun stood up, then nodded sharply, giving a half-hearted salute before sprinting through the brush. Doyoon trudged after him, listening closely to Jaeon's breathing. It took a lot to knock his guard unconscious, but the witch had managed to do it easily. At that moment, Jaeon stirred.

    "Shit..." he hissed, gripping the fabric of Doyoon's shirt as he battled the pain.

    "Now you're awake? We're nearly back home," Doyoon tried to joke, but startled as Jaeon pulled away and tried to stand on his own. "Quit that. Just lean on me for now, Jihyun went to get help." Jaeon paused his struggling, but his face turned dark.

    "Just leave me here for now. I can manage after I collect myself."

    "What's wrong? Why don't you want to- oh," Doyoon rolled his eyes, slinging Jaeon's arm over him again.  "Is this because of the dinner party you mentioned earlier? Don't tell me you don't want to go because Minjoo is there."

    "You know what he is like. If he sees me in such a state," Jaeon frowned, his free hand coming up to cradle his ribs.

    "Oh what a hardship it must be to have someone care about you," Doyoon mocked sarcastically, forcing Jaeon to move forward. The prince could see the lights of the courtyard now, and the distant thrum of voices became steadily clearer.

    "What are you saying, Jihyun? You're not making any sense!" Minjoo's voice broke through the shrubbery and Doyoon felt Jaeon tense beside him.

"He's drunk. By the moon he's drunk," Chang howled just as Doyoon stepped out from the shrubbery, losing his balance and sending both him and Jaeon sprawling across the cobblestone.

"See," Jihyun whined, pointing at the men lying on the ground, "I told you!" Minjoo yelped in surprise, then muttered ceaselessly under his breath, gathering his skirts and rushing to Jaeon's side.

"What the hell happened?" Minjoo fussed, pulling Jaeon into a sitting position.

"The blue-eyed man did it," Jihyun shrugged, sitting down at the table laden with food for the dinner that had been planned that night.

"Blue-eyed...?" Chang's brows scrunched together in confusion, then his eyes widened as he realized. "The witch? Why-" Doyoon held up a hand to stop what he knew would be a stream of endless questioning.

"We'll talk later, for now..." Doyoon grunted as he pushed himself to stand. Chang rushed to his side, holding onto his elbow as he guided him to the table where Jihyun sat, stuffing his face with an assortment of dishes.

"Who on earth gave him alcohol?" Minjoo frowned as he helped Jaeon up the stairs and to a seat.

"Who else? My sister was watching him today," the crown prince frowned, grabbing a cloth napkin and wiping at his neck. The fabric came away bloody and Doyoon winced, chucking it to the floor. Chang left to get medicine and bandages, returning swiftly with arms full of various boxes and bottles.