WAR ON BOTH FRONTS

After ordering a distraught Munyeong to attend to Jihyun, the Crown Prince hurried to his study. Both Songmin and Minjoo waited for him there, Minjoo looking angry with his arms crossed and Songmin hiding a smug grin behind his fan.

"It is not funny," Minjoo spat, the pair unaware of the Prince's presence.

"Even Chaesung recognized him for what he is. A street rat that snuck its way into the palace."

"You are so bitter. Just because your love life is miserable doesn't mean you can take it out on Jihyun."

"My love life is miserable? You are obsessed with a man who doesn't even speak to you-"

"Songmin," the prince cut in, rubbing his temples in annoyance, "I'd appreciate if you refrain from calling my fated names."

"What happened? I mean besides the servant getting shot at. Normally you'd have jumped me already," Songmin asked, snapping his fan shut with a clack.

"Do not ask," the prince muttered, brushing past them to the basin of water in the corner of the room. The prince splashed his face, rubbing furiously at his eyes as if he could erase the dirty images filtering through his head.

"His ears are red..." Minjoo observed, leaning to get a better look at the prince's expression.

"But he is not angry. At least not any more the usual," Songmin added, coming to lean on the other side of Doyoon. He hated when they were like this. The unusual pair would team up and decide to drive everyone up a wall.

"He's blushing. Oh my god you're blushing. What happened?"

"Nothing happened. I just got caught up in my head. Now will you two get off of me," he pushed the pair away and straightened.

"Whatever you say. But what about Jihyun, is he okay?" Minjoo pestered as the two followed Doyoon to the shelves behind his desk.

"He is fine, besides a few scrapes, although knowing Chaesung he will also have a few bruises tomorrow as well." Doyoon could not keep the bitterness out of his voice as he though about the marks that continued to pepper Jihyun's skin.

"Not any worse than what you did to him," Songmin said under his breath.

"Arguably far less worse," Minjoo chimed in.

"If you two continue I will kick you out of this meeting," the Crown Prince threatened as he placed a hand on a jade figurine perched on the far end of a shelf. The two stayed quiet after that, and with a satisfied nod, Doyoon twisted the figure sharply to the right. Wood creaked quietly as a panel on the wall slid away and a ladder that descended into darkness appeared.

"I hate this part every time," Songmin grumbled as he watched Minjoo, and then the prince, start their descent.

"Don't forget to close it behind you!" Minjoo's voice echoed up from the tunnel. Complaining the whole time, Songmin grabbed the ladder, sliding the panel closed behind him and locking it.

Jaeon and Chaesung were already below, waiting for the prince in the dimly lit room that had previously been a part of hidden palace escape routes, but had since been abandoned after turbulent years of war ended. Chang had sent word via one of his house servants that he would not be available until nightfall, as for the reason, Doyoon expected that enough people had gathered in wait at the general's house for him to start his own brothel. Upon the Crown Prince's entrance, Chaesung did not look remorseful, but rather had the gall to appear angry.

"Did you still not tell her?" Doyoon questioned, settling into the chair at the head of the table.

"I did not receive permission to do so. I informed you earlier about what I told her, but you hardly listened and instructed me to leave." The words were formal, but Jaeon was clearly peeved.