DISTANT BUT NOT ABSENT

The camp the next morning was weighed down by a heavy silence. Everyone set about their chores, packing up their belongings for departure. Through all this, Jihyun sat by himself below a tree some ways from the center of the clearing. No one had fussed at him or threatened him because of his behavior last night, but no one had spoken to him either. Minjoo didn't greet him or offer any comforting words, even Chang, who was normally so talkative, refused to acknowledge Jihyun. It was for the best, Jihyun preferred that they treat him as the outcast that he was, rather than lure him into a false sense of security. Still, this social isolation didn't seem like enough of a punishment. He had struck the prince. Jihyun had pushed the future king of this country, yet he got off lighter than when he simply stepped in his path.

"I want to talk to him," the crown prince said from where he was watching Jihyun, who had tucked his knees beneath his chin and seemed to be staring at nothing in particular while wringing his hands.

"I don't know if that's a good idea, your highness," Minjoo whispered, grabbing the prince's arm to stop him from leaving.

"We don't really have another choice. He needs to come with us, and I'm the reason he's reluctant. I need to talk to him," the prince shrugged off Minjoo's hand.

"I don't think that's the only reason..." Chang mumbled, pretending to look for something in his bag. Songmin smirked, nodding his head in agreement. Minjoo shot them both a glare, shaking his head.

"So you'll talk to him and what? Tell him that you're meant to walk the moonlit path together? Do you think he'll believe you? Do you even want him to know yet?" Minjoo whispered hurriedly, casting a pointed glance towards Jihyun.

"I won't tell him that, I just... I need to talk to him. I don't want him to be afraid of me anymore."

"Him being afraid of you isn't something that can just change after a conversation, your highness. Do you not remember how he reacted last night. He's stressed, surrounded by strangers, and in an unfamiliar place. No one would like that."

"He still must come with us regardless. I don't want his time with us to send him into more episodes like last night."

"You should have thought about that before you nearly killed him," Songmin muttered, flicking his fan open to hide his frown.

"I don't need input from you," the crown prince growled, whirling on the advisor.

"My apologies, your highness, I suppose I should go find another job, then. Since this advisor's input is unnecessary," Songmin sneered, bowing his head mockingly.

"Can you two stop! We need to think of a solution," Minjoo cut in, looking to Jaeon for help. The bodyguard sighed but shot Songmin a look that told him to watch his mouth.

"We could just tie him up and force him to go with us," Chang supplied, pulling a rope from his satchel.

"Goodness, you guys are insufferable. Put that away," Minjoo swatted at the rope in Chang's hands.

"We're not tying him up," the crown prince ground out. "Now I'm going to talk to him, and no one is allowed to stop me."

"But-" the prince walked away from Minjoo's nagging, crossing to the other side of the clearing until he stood a few feet from Jihyun. The servant hasn't noticed him yet, lost in his thoughts, so the crown prince just watched him for a moment. Even without his long and silky hair, Jihyun was unusually beautiful. His nose sloped gently, and upturned slightly at the end. His lips seemed nearly too big for his face and were a dusty shade of pink. His eyes were the most captivating, large and dark, like the eyes of a deer. Even with such prominent features, Jihyun's overall face seemed soft, blended. Releasing a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, the prince closed the distance between him and Jihyun, squatting in front of the servant.