UNEQUAL FOOTING PREVENTS PROGRESS

The crown prince was irritated, it was clear to see. They were only a half a day into their journey, and Doyoon didn't know if he'd be able to handle another week of this. Seeing Jihyun nestled in Chang's arms was hard enough, but to see him smiling, even laughing, at or with the soldier made him grind his teeth. Hell, the prince was even debating stopping the party and forcing Songmin to carry Jihyun in the hope that the scholar's uppity attitude would dissuade Jihyun from further conversation. But then again, Doyoon wasn't so sure that would even work. All his companions seemed to be interested in Jihyun, even Jaeon, to some degree. Although in the guard's case it was a more hostile sort of fascination. Songmin, however, would peer at Jihyun through his glasses as if studying him, and then whip his head away when the servant met his eyes. Minjoo would often join in on Chang and Jihyun's conversation, making witty jabs at Chang and offering Jihyun pretty smiles. Again that internal battle raged within Doyoon, of if he should be jealous of his friends' attentions, or grateful they were welcoming his fated.

Jaeon brought his horse closer to the prince's until their knees were nearly brushing with each stride. "We should probably speed up, your highness. At this rate, we won't reach the campsite until dusk, and it's best to still have some daylight left to get everything set up."

"I know that, but I don't think we should. I worry going any faster will aggravate Jihyun's wounds. He just barely recovered, I can't risk worsening his condition, especially on the road." Jaeon didn't argue, because the prince's word was final, but Doyoon could sense his guard's displeasure.

"We can go faster if we need to. I can handle it," Jihyun's soft voice filtered into their conversation, and the crown prince stiffened in his saddle. He had been listening to them, to him. Jihyun only addressed Jaeon, though, ignoring the prince's presence completely. Although the strangeness of the crown prince caring for him had not rubbed off on Jihyun, he couldn't bring himself to think too deeply about it.

"Don't mind Jaeon, he's always got a stick up his ass, telling people to hurry, or be quiet, or 'stop taking a piss break every five minutes or I'll slice you open and remove your bladder.'" Chang said, deepening his voice to mimic the bodyguard.

"I'm pretty sure he's only said that last one to you," Minjoo quipped. Chang just shrugged his shoulders. Ignoring their bickering, Jaeon, deferred to the prince.

"Is that satisfactory enough? He said he could handle it," the guard taunted, raising his brow as if to challenge the prince to go against Jihyun. The crown prince huffed, clicking his tongue as he set a faster, although just barely, pace.

~~~~~~

They reached the campsite, a small clearing some twelve feet away from the main road, just as the last orange rays of sunlight were ducking behind the horizon. Jaeon and Chang set about gathering firewood and fresh water from a nearby stream, while Minjoo brought Jihyun to the relative privacy behind the horses to inspect his back. That left the prince with Songmin, who was kicking off clumps of moss from one of the logs used as a bench.

"You haven't spoken with Jihyun at all. I understand why Jaeon is keeping his distance, but you're normally quite inquisitive," the prince sauntered over to the scholar, crossing his arms.

"Are you asking why I'm not acting all buddy-buddy with your fated?" Songmin jeered, frowning when the prince stole the seat he had just cleared.

"Watch it, Songmin," the prince warned.

"I don't have to like him, and I don't have to talk to him. He's of a different class than us."

"So you're not talking to him because he's a servant? Minjoo is technically a servant and-"