GIVE A MILE TO TAKE AN INCH

"Let him in," Doyoon called back, joining Chang at the table and forcing Songmin to sit as well. The door to the study slid back slowly, Jihyun's head peaking around the corner. "Come in." Doyoon beckoned Jihyun forward with his hand. Jihyun entered, bowing in greeting to each man. A heavy silence enveloped the room. Songmin stared into his empty cup, Chang took the opportunity to refill his, and Doyoon stared unblinking at Jihyun.

"Uh, I, um... came to..." Jihyun trailed off, eyes flickering over to Songmin's disinterested form.

"What is it, you can speak your mind. I won't bite," the prince encouraged.

"Unless you ask him too," Chang butted in, the sound of ceramic spinning as the prince slapped the back of the general's head so hard his cup flew from his hand. Tea spread across the table as Chang swore, rubbing the back of his head furiously. "Oh, come on now. Was that necessary? I was just joking!" Doyoon glared at Chang while Songmin stifled a laugh behind his hand, moving his knees out the way as tea dripped over the edge of the table. Jihyun ears turned red as he looked away from the scene, his heart thundering.

"Get out now. The both of you," the crown prince ordered, his voice dark.

"What did I do?" Songmin protested. The crown prince only stared until the pair finally stood, his eyes tracking them as they scurried past Jihyun and out the door, the whole time bickering in muffled whispers. With a heavy sigh, Doyoon returned his attention to Jihyun, who still looked at the floor, his face beet-red.

"I apologize for Chang's behavior, his comment was inappropriate."

"Ah, no, it is fine, there is no need to apologize. I understand he says things like that from time to time. Besides, I should be the one apologizing."

"You? Why?" The crown prince leaned forward, resting his hands on his knees.

"Did, did Lord Songmin not already tell you? I said some hurtful words earlier, but it is only because I was upset. I do not actually wish for those things to happen... not, uh, all of them." Jihyun fiddled nervously with his fingers, biting his lip.

"Songmin did not mention anything of that sort. What are you talking about?" Jihyun bit his lip, shifting his weight from foot to foot.

"If he did not tell you, then-"

"Do you mean about Eunbin? I will make sure she is not a threat to you. Songmin also said you don't know how to read. He offered to teach you, would you be willing?"

"Oh, yes, well. The princess read me your poem, but I did not quite understand it. She offered to teach me as well, perhaps she can.." Jihyun trailed off, looking up at the prince through his eyelashes.

"I'm sorry, Jihyun, but that's out of the question. Eunbin may be my sister, but I can't trust her, especially not with anything related to you."

"Ah, so it is my problem. I knew it would be inappropriate for someone like me to learn from Her Majesty, I just thought since she offered..."

"No, I didn't mean it like that-" the prince rose from his chair, hands spread apart. Jihyun took a step back.

"It is fine. Lord Songmin also did not seem pleased with the princess' offer." Jihyun stared at the floor, unable to hide his dejection. The crown prince frowned, rubbing the back of his neck. With a heavy sigh, the prince stepped approached Jihyun and placed his hands on the shorter man's shoulders. Jihyun tensed, curling his hands into fists beneath his sleeves.

"Would you be willing for Songmin to teach you? I am not the fondest of this idea, but he is good at what he does, and I cannot picture anyone better suited for the task." Jihyun looked up, recoiling in the prince's grasp when he realized how close their faces were.