‧₊˚❀༉‧₊˚.Chapter 9‧₊˚❀༉‧₊˚.

Alone, Breaking, Empty

‧₊˚❀༉‧₊˚.

Her eyes lingered on Arthur for a while before they went to me. My head remained bowed until she spoke and that made me tremble.

"What were you two doing here?" the Queen asked.

I can't tell if she was mad or what, her voice sounded nothing but authority.

"Just roaming around, Your Majesty," Arthur responded with insolence in his voice.

What the fuck is he doing?!

"This part of the palace is not for the visitors for today. Are you on the master list?" The Queen stepped in front of me. "Lift your head, I am speaking to you, Lady Sinnea."

I harshly bit my lower lip before looking at her. She stared at me blankly and I didn't know what I was supposed to do.

"I should apologize, Your Majesty. I shouldn't go here and I promise this won't happen. Don't tell my father," I said pleadingly.

"Why shouldn't I tell your father your misconduct?" The Queen lifted an eyebrow.

Arthur sighed and looked away, he was pissed apparently. But why he was behaving like that in front of the queen? Doesn't he get it? We are in big trouble!

"He will be so disappointed in me and he will condemn himself, and I don't want him to feel that. It is my fault, ma'am. Please, chastise me, only me." I shut my eyes and held together my shivering hands.

"Stop." I heard Arthur whisper.

I shook my head. "Please, Your Majesty."

Arthur held my hand and tugged me nearer to his body. I wanted to push him away and slap him hard because I was so furious at him right now!

"Okay," Queen Eugenie said. "But in one condition." She smiled almost a smirk at me.

"What is it, ma'am?" I don't know why I suddenly feel anxious.

"Marry one of my sons," she let out. "That's all and nothing of this will get to your father. Are you in?"

My jaw wanted to drop in astonishment. "Your Majesty, I-I am already engaged."

"Then call off your engagement and marry one of my princes. I am giving you the best life in the future and I am hearing a complaint from you. I am very sure that my princes are far more than the man you are willing to marry." He looked at Arthur and gave him a mocking smile. "Right, Mister?"

Arthur didn't speak at all but I saw his jaw clenched.

"I am still waiting for your answer, Lady Sinnea," the queen uttered.

Thankfully, one of her lady-in-waiting arrived and brought her news that required her presence.

"Meet me tomorrow at the Queen's Garden and then, I'll hear your answer." The queen left that instant.

The guards assisted us and made us leave the Royal Palace. I don't have the strength to look at Arthur who's very quiet right now.

"What happened, Sinnea? Why are you crying?" My lady approached me. She looked at Arthur with a grimace. "What did you do to my best friend? I trusted you!"

I shook my head. "L-let' go home, my lady. You must tired."

"Sinnea," she called me once but I didn't really want to talk about it, especially in front of him.

We left Arthur there alone, I couldn't even look at him, I had no choice.

My family's reputation is one of the most valuable things that my father is taking care of. He wanted to raise our family's rank in society and just this mistake would make us even lower than we are.

"Are you okay? Are you sick? Did Art hurt you?" Duchess Ingrid asked simultaneously.

I shook my head. "He didn't do anything to me." In fact, he took care of me the whole time and somehow, I feel good.

"Then, what happened? Where did you two go?"

The car halted in front of the manor's foyer so she quit asking. Lord Philip greeted us with a warm smile, probably so pleased that his daughter was getting along with the prince very well.

"How's your day, my duchess?" he asked Ingrid.

"It was terrific, Dad. I got to know more about the prince. He is really kind and a gentleman." She giggled.

I wish my life wasn't as complicated as hers. I would be so happy to engage with one of the princes if I wasn't in a relationship with Arthur. I hate to admit it to myself but I am actually getting used to him. He was making me delighted, I like how he looks after me and makes me feel important. Yes, he is pretentious most of the time, but I like to believe that it was a part of his charms. I like him, I really do and I don't want to call off our engagement. It will hurt him and it will shatter me more.

"You can't take a rest, Sinnea, if you don't feel so good," Ingrid uttered. She beamed at me. "I'm fine. You should get a nap or take care of yourself first." She gave me a tight hug before slightly shoving me out of her room. "You tell me your story later. I won't forget."

"Don't worry, I will. Thank you, Duchess Ingrid." I shut the door of her chamber and quickly went to mine.

I wasn't wrong when I guessed Arthur would be there. He was facing the window when I arrived at my room thinking deeply.

"Arthur," I called him using a very soft voice.

"Are you gonna leave me just because the queen said so?" He confronted me.

I looked away. "That's our queen, Arthur."

"Ah, so, you are really going to leave me." He hissed.

Tears broke out from my eyes. "I don't really want to, Arthur. Believe me. I want to marry you but..."

"Sinnea." He took large steps to reach me and surrounded me with his warm arms.

"I'm frightened, Arthur. My papa will be so disappointed. He kept reminding me not to do things that would get me in trouble. He said he wanted to stay in one of the minor houses and the only thing that keeps holding our family in that position is my grandfather. But when he dies, there will be no more legacy remaining for us. I thought marrying one of the princes would make my father so happy. I'm so sorry." I sobbed in his arms thinking it would be the last time I could hug him like this.

"I wouldn't get mad if you called off our engagement. You have the right to do that. In the first place, I forced you." He pushed away a little and held my hand where my ring was.

"Arthur, no. Don't do this." I don't want to let go.

"You need to marry someone who can make your father proud. I am not that man. The princes will certainly adore you, you will like them too eventually." He fondled my face and slowly pulled out the ring on my finger.

"No! No! Please!" I tried to pull the ring but he was much stronger than me.

"Goodbye, Lady Sinnea." He kissed me one last time before turning his back on me.

"Please, Arthur. Don't do this." I clutched him from behind.

"What's the point, Sinnea?" He sighed. "What's the point of having me if you will choose the prince tomorrow? Let go of me so I could find another girl to marry. Maybe, I should go with Duchess Samara, the one my father introduced to me the other day." He withdrew my hands from his body.

"Arthur," I called him again but this time, he didn't look back nor speak.

I was left there alone, breaking, and empty.

‧₊˚❀༉‧₊˚.