CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Mom..." I called out as I entered her hospital room.

"I'm here. Are you alright? Does anything hurt?" I asked as I approached her.

"I'm fine, son..." she replied, struggling to speak. She was definitely feeling pain in her stomach.

"Okay. You don't need to talk right now, Mom. Just rest for a bit, okay? I brought you some food," I said as I fixed her bed.

Mom nodded and glanced at Sir Shun and smiled at him. Sir Shun returned the smile.

"Ming," I called my sister and handed her the plastic with food, signaling her to eat.

"Big Bro, are you coming back later?" Ming asked while eating.

I nodded and said, "So, you should keep an eye on Mom, okay?"

"'Kay..." she replied, so I smiled at her and tousled her hair.

I held Mom's hand and smiled at her.

"The doctor said you can be discharged when your operation has healed," I said while stroking Mom's hand.

Mom nodded and closed her eyes. She looked so tired. I decided to let her sleep a bit more.

I looked at Sir Shun, who was busy with his phone, so I called to him. He looked at me, waiting for me to say something.

"Uhm... Sir, I think... you need to go first...?" I said, hoping he wouldn't think I was sending him away.

"Take your time. I can wait." he said and continued with his phone.

Fast forward~

We're on our way back to the mansion now. It's already dark outside.

"Mom, remember what I said, okay? Take care,"

"Okay, son... be careful on your way..." she replied.

"You too, Shun... thank you so much for visiting with my son..." she added and smiled at Sir Shun.

Sir Shun nodded and smiled back at her.

"Ming, don't forget to make sure Mom takes her medicines on time, okay? I'll call you later," I said to Ming, who was standing beside me.

"Okay, Big bro," she replied, smiling widely.

"Call me if something happens,"

"Take care you too," I added.

"Goodbye, Auntie. Take care," Sir Shun said to Mom.

"You too, Ming. Take care of your Mom, okay?" Sir Shun added while gently tapping Ming's face. Ming nodded and waved at him.

"We're going now. Bye, bye," I said as I waved my hand, and we left Mom's hospital room.

We walked out of the hospital until we reached Sir Shun's car in the parking lot.

"Sir," I called to Sir Shun.

"What?" he asked.

"Thank you again for today..." I said.

"I knew you'd say that. Get in." he said when we finally reached his car.

Sir Shun started the engine when we got inside the car.

After a minute of silence, I called to Sir Shun again, "Sir,"

"What?"

"Uh... In case... is there a house to rent near your place?" I asked, waiting for his answer.

"Why?" he asked.

"Well... Mom's going to be discharged soon. I need to find a place for her near me. I can't take care of her if she's going to stay in our house; it's hard going back and forth," I explained.

"You don't need to rent a house. They can stay in the mansion." he replied.

"Eh—there's no need, sir. I-," he cut me off, saying, "You don't want to be away from her, right?"

"But-"

"Ming can't take care of her alone. There are no hospital nurses who can help your Mom in the house you will rent. You can look after her anytime you want if she stays in the mansion with you." Sir Shun insisted.

"But Grandma Ven-"

"I'll talk to her about that. She'll agree with me anyway. It's good to have other people around the house who could accompany Grandma." he cut me off.

He didn't even let me finish saying the things I wanted to say.

"Is it... really okay with you, sir?" I asked.

"Grandma Venus mentioned before that you don't want anyone else in the mansio-" I added, but I didn't finish my sentence when he cut me off again, saying, "That's before. I only said that for Grandma's safety. I can't just trust people living inside the mansion."

"Then, you're trusti-?"

"Let's go to the nearest grocery store first." there he goes again, cutting me off.

"Okay..." I replied without saying anything more.

He's really letting Mom and my sister live in the mansion? Well, even though this is too much of his help, it's a good thing that I can be with Mom until she recovers.

I can save my money while paying for Sir Shun.

I can also save money for Ming to go to school soon. I can't just let her take care of Mom and stop going to school.

I looked at Sir Shun, who is focused on driving and looked away.

Right now and these days, I just think that Sir Shun is a good person. And I'm very grateful that I met him.

I looked at him again for a moment.

...

I didn't realize that he's good-looking...

Eh? What am I thinking? Erase. Erase.

To be continued...