Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Instinctive

adjective ~ relating to or prompted by instinct; apparently unconscious or automatic

NOVA

My head turned, and I took in the sight of them with fresh eyes. Charlie was naked and covered with blood, but I recognised most of it to be someone else's. There was a wound on his thigh and all across his left torso, but they were healing. It was only as I grew closer that I recognised the blood to be Calida's.

My eyes dropped to hers, finding her barely awake on the ground. I swallowed down the lump in my throat as I caught sight of her. Her entire entrails were outside her body, her torso ripped to shreds and chest collapsed. Her thighs and hands were torn; I think she was even missing a finger.

I shifted without thinking, gasping as my pain overwhelmed me. I felt wet and sticky as I fell to my knees beside my friend, but I didn't care. Shaking my head clear of the pain, I turned to hover over her.

"Calida..." I breathed, teary.

She wearily blinked, her eyes hardly staying open. Her lips moved, but nothing came out. Her once tan skin was pale and ashy, and her lips were pale. She didn't have long. The only thing keeping her going was pure adrenaline and stubbornness.

"Charlie, she's dying!" I squeaked.

"Nova..." He whined, staring at his mate. "What do I do? What do I do?"

I shook my head, overwhelmed, as I tried to force her body back together. It only succeeded in blooding my hands and my side screamed in protest with every harsh breath. Phoenix hovered behind me, murmuring my name. I swallowed down bile, noticing a sharp pain in my jaw.

Only one idea came to mind; one that saved Phoenix so long ago.

"You... You have to claim her, Charlie. It could save her."

His eyes widened as he finally looked up at me. I tensed at his gaunt expression, recognising the horror in his face. His eyes were dark and bruised, his lower lip wobbling with emotion.

"I can't!" He insisted, shaking his head. "I told her I would never do that!"

"Charlie, if you don't, she is going to die!"

He was shaking as he looked back down at her. His face was crippled with agony and, with a pained whine, he placed his palms on her shoulders. He squeezed the skin, unsure of his next move, but then turned her head. It fell to the side with no effort, a low exhale escaping her chest. I could hear her heart slowing down, knowing her time was near.

"I'm so sorry." Charlie sobbed.

I looked away as he sank his teeth into her neck, a whimper bubbling in his throat as he claimed her. When he pulled away, I looked back, watching the bite. It continued to bleed, even after he licked it clean. At the realisation it wasn't healing, Charlie tore open his palm and forced it to her lips.

"Calida, please." He begged.

His blood filled her mouth, but she was unconscious, the blood pooling from her mouth onto the ground. His head dropped, and he removed his hand to land a broken sob into her throat.

I felt frozen, as though this entire scenario wasn't real. Calida lay in literal pieces, dying before my very eyes, and there was nothing we could do.

'There's something.' Cel breathed.

I blinked, staring down at where my hand clutched my friend's. I wasn't sure what Celimene meant, but the desperation for my dying friend outweighed it all. As Charlie continued to try to cover her with his own blood, my mind raced for answers.