Wattpad Original
There are 37 more free parts

Compassion

noun ~ sympathetic pity and concern for the misfortunes of others

PHOENIX

Nova grew more antsy as the hour went by. We remained on the garden bench for most of it, a gentle conversation flowing between us. It concerned me she thought so lowly of herself. I understood she felt like a lot was going on, but she had just given birth to two babies. Nobody expected her to be back on top form, nobody expected so much from her.

Her concerns were sweet. It made my chest feel heavy with adoration as she mumbled her worries about the pack and our children. I knew she tossed and turned every night, plagued by the thoughts of what could happen to them. But, as Kate informed me, it was highly common to feel such odd things after giving birth.

As her mind wandered, her thoughts started to spiral, I took her hand and pulled her off the bench. She squeaked in surprise, stumbling to catch her feet. I rolled my eyes playfully; she was always so clumsy on two feet. It was as though her four feet were her natural ones; her wolf was a force to be reckoned with.

Which is why I was doing this.

Dragging her back to the treeline, she followed mutely until realisation dawned on her.

"Phoenix! Where-what are you doing? We don't have to get the twins for another hour!" She spluttered.

"I know." I mused, stopping at the treeline. "We are going for a run."

Her confused expression lifted to one of surprise, and then there it was again; unease. This was our fourth time together without the twins, so you'd think shifting to her wolf would be easy. It always was fine; she was just always nervous. Even if anything happened, I knew Celimene would steer her right. She was an ancient soul, but she was wise.

Nova's eyes seemed to narrow at me, and I grinned, winking at her.

"Come on, it will be fine." I reassured her.

She huffed, but allowed me to lead her deeper into the trees. Following my nose, I steered her toward the nearest clothes store. The small bird box had the distinct smell of peppermint, warding away any small rodents that wanted to nest. Stopping by it, I faced Nova as I removed my shoes and shirt. Her eyes lit up as they always did, and I smirked at her reaction.

"Save that for later." I grinned.

She scoffed at me, shaking her head with a soft blush. "I was not thinking that."

"Whatever you say, my love." I mused. "Now, are you going to join me?"

Nova when angry was stubborn, and stubborn Nova did things out of spite. She removed her clothes with a defiant stiffness, kicking her trousers into my face. My smirk broadened into a grin as she did the same to her pants, but I caught them mid-way. Her eyes narrowed, but the blush on her cheeks only deepened.

"Feeling cheeky today, my love?" I laughed.

The top came next, but with less fluidity. Her fingers were hesitant, and the moment she lifted it over her head, I was before her in an instant. She jolted when my hands contacted her bare skin, dropping her t-shirt to the ground. Her small hands wrapped around my wrists, clutching on with nerves.

"Don't." I murmured. "One day you will realise I love you no matter what you look like. You could have half an arm, a peg leg, and half a face covered with maggots, and I would still think you are perfect."

Her nose wrinkled. "Maggots?"

I laughed softly. "Maybe not the maggots. They are rather disgusting."

"So, I would be disgusting?" She cocked her head.