Wattpad Original
There are 28 more free parts

Provocative

adjective ~ causing annoyance, anger, or another strong reaction, especially deliberately

PHOENIX

It was after lunch by the time my beta entered my office. He was sheepish, but the moment he stepped closer to me, I recognised why. My nose crinkled, but I couldn't help laugh.

"Again?" I mused. "How many times is that in the past twenty-four hours?"

Charlie scratched the back of his neck. "Four."

I laughed, shaking my head. Rising from my desk, Charlie observed me with scepticism. My lips quirked as I rounded the table and held out my hand. My beta blinked, staring at my outstretched palm with wide eyes.

"The hand won't stay there for long." I smirked. "It may turn into a hug."

The wide eyes met mine, and Charlie laughed. His hand took mine with a firm shake before we pulled into a one-armed hug. I patted his back with congratulations, before leaning away from him.

Is this how I smelt when I slept with Nova? It was rather over-powering.

"I'm glad for you, bro."

He grinned, shrugging his shoulders. "I can't believe it."

"That she loves you?" I mused. "Or that you lasted longer than ten seconds?"

He growled, playfully nudging me. I chuckled, falling back a step and rounding my desk.

"Bitch." He muttered.

Rolling my eyes, I sat in my chair. "Since you are so late and love working so much, I have had to do this all by myself."

"Please, you are a control freak." Charlie tutted, sitting opposite me. "I doubt it was anything you could not handle."

Sobering up slightly, I inhaled deeply. "Charlie, as much as I love that you and your mate have bonded, it can't happen again. You cannot sneak out of work. We had a video call with Alexander this morning."

His eyes widened, muttering a soft curse. "I completely forgot that was today!"

I nodded. "Ten o'clock."

He cursed again. "I'm sorry, Nix."

I smiled softly, waving him off. "I will give you this one get-out-of-jail card."

His nose twitched with humour, a small smirk on his lips. "You've changed."

Rolling my eyes. "It's called aging."

"No, no, you have." He snorted. "For the better, brother."

"You think so?" I mused. "How so? Grey hairs?"

"Please, even if you turned grey, it would still look good on you." He scoffed. "I meant you've just changed. Becoming a father, and a mate, has really changed you. If I had flaked out on you for a girl before all of that, I think I would be in the cells scrubbing shit off the floor."

"Or running laps till you passed out." I pointed out.

"I still remember that."

"You were a dick that day."

"My wolf was a dick that day." He corrected me.

"Both of you were." I snorted. "Running was a well-deserved punishment."

"I literally fell down and broke my ankle." He stated.

I laughed at the memory. It was when we were both young adults. Charlie had issues with his wolf when I first came across him, and it was on a day I showed him mercy. I didn't kill the rogue in my territory, too sullen to care. When he shifted, it took me by surprise, but the lack of control he had on his wolf was worse.