Wattpad Originale
Il reste 18 Chapitres gratuits

Magic

noun ~ the power of influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural force

PHOENIX

Silence echoed around the forest as Nova crept into no-man's-land. My heart in my throat, I had to remain where I was as she stopped half-way in the safe zone. My fists clenched at my sides, watching her breath shake as she inhaled. To my surprise, whatever she smelt caused her to freeze. Her head cocked and her eyes fluttered closed as her chest rose and fell with heavy breaths.

She unknowingly crept forward, following the scent. I watched her go, hoping she was aware of what she was doing. But she wasn't, because within five steps, she was at the furthest limit.

"Nova!" I called, warning her.

She gasped, tripping over her own feet. I stepped forward, ready to assist her if she needed it, but she caught herself on the tree. Still, I pushed forward, ready to aid her, but then the strangest thing happened. The moment her hand touched the tree, her entire appearance blurred. A blinding, sharp light erupted where she stood and, like lightning, the scent of smoke filled my nostrils.

I called out to her alarmed, but where she once stood and the light took over, now faded to a blank emptiness.

She was gone.

"Nova!" I shouted.

I opened my mind, panicked as I searched for her. My nose smelt nothing but her previous scent and I didn't hear her footsteps or her heartbeat. Fear clutched at my stomach as I frantically searched around. The bond was fizzled, gone much like it was when she was in a vision.

Spinning around, my hard gaze latched onto Charlie. His eyes were wide, staring down at the charred dirt that once held my mate. Even the oak tree held the shadow of her fingertips, a dark smoky smear on the bark.

"Shit." Charlie whispered. "She can teleport."

I snarled, ignoring him, sweat pooling on my palms. "Where did she go?"

He blinked, looking up at me with shock. "I don't know. She just... Poof!"

"Charlie!" I growled, baring my teeth.

He took a step back, dropping the act and baring his neck. "Shit, I don't know!"

"Can you smell her?" I insisted.

Charlie was the best tracker around.

He frowned, stepping over the border and looking around. "No. She's... where the fuck did she go? You didn't tell me she could teleport!"

"She can't!" I snapped. "She fucking vanished!"

"Alright, alright. There has to be an explanation." Charlie tried.

Too consumed with fear and rage, I fisted my hands in my hair. This was happening again. Why? Why was it happening again? What cruel fate destined me to be without my mate?

"You need to think logically-

"Fuck that! She just vanished!" I snarled.

"Her scent lingers, she can't just... go!" He huffed. "Why don't I take a look around and you go... cool off?"

"I should look." I shook my head.

His hands stopped me, pushing me back over the border and into privacy. The border had a sound shield, and glaring down at Charlie, I understood why when I saw his sympathetic gaze.

"What if that is what they want? What if they want their pack defenseless without their alpha pair?" He asked.

"What if she needs me?"