Four: Able

Paris Delaney

I found myself leaving campus earlier than expected. I had to see her.

Getting into my car I drove the long ass one hour distance not caring how long it'd take. It was around 3 o'clock in the afternoon meaning she was just getting out of school.

There weren't many places Sable could be, seeing as she only alternated between three. Her house, school, and (NYU) New York University. There was a studio within those halls that held shows big enough to fit thousands of fucking people. During the weekdays and occasionally weekends she'd go there to practice— her amongst other girls. I didn't pay attention to them though I only wanted to see my girl.

Parking my car I got out walking straight into the building, security turning a blind eye. It's as if I'm not even here. The closer I get to the hall the louder that insufferable music gets. Sneaking in through the back door, the lights were too dim for me to be seen. Still I stay in the far back away from the women up front.

It was Monday, and normally what would be a stage full of girls wasn't. There was only one. She practiced alone most days, and as much as I hate the profession I have to say she was amazing.

I took a seat enthralled by her. Her movements, her body, her everything. It's a shame I couldn't get closer. I mean I could... but I won't. Not yet at least.

Rubbing at my bottom lip my eyes soaked it all in. I've been to a few of her shows even donated a fuck—ton of money to this goddamn program. The woman who runs this whole shit show was a bitch, one I regularly wanted to bury six feet under.

I didn't know her personally, I mean I've met her husband a few times that fat fuck. He works for my uncle but that's beside the point. Solana Leonì, is a greedy bossy little bitch. Every time she raised her voice at my Abel I had to restrain myself from pressing the cool steel of my gun against her head and pulling the goddamn trigger.

I don't have much patience, but for that little woman I will learn to have it.

Solana leaned forward in her chair, glasses perched upon her nose studying Sable for fault. Her mother sat beside her tapping away at her phone, not paying her daughter the attention I believe she deserved. Those two were like Thelma and Louise. It made me think of my mother and her sister.

I killed my mother's sister. Chopped off her hands and mailed 'em off to my mother the very next day. They were bow-tied real pretty in a box. I bet she wished she'd have kept them to herself.

A hard drop brought my attention back to the stage and away from the two women I fantasized about murdering.

Sable was down on her knees, beads of sweat dripping down her cheeks. Her hands pressed against the floor of that stage as she took deep concentrated breaths. The music stopped.

"Again!" Solana yelled.

My finger tapped against the arm of my seat, my ring creating a small click.

Able shook her head, her hair blocking her face. "I-I can't."

"What was that?"

I heard her just fucking fine. My finger tapped again. Click.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Leonì I can't."