Eighteen: Samuel Rae

Early update because it's Friday and we're finally going on Easter break!! No school for 10 days! I'm so excited, if you couldn't already tell. 😊🤸🏽‍♀️

Sable Rae

Putting my textbooks back into my locker, a paper falls out before I can catch it.

Bending down to try and grab it the folder in my hand tilts causing all of my homework to scatter in the hallway. "Shit." Quickly trying to push everything into a pile my locker slams shut making me yelp and jump simultaneously.

"Sable."

"What?!" I yell, frustrated and somewhat frightened.

"Bitchy much." Cleo laughs and I sigh when I realize it's her. "Here, let me help you."

My papers get wrinkled and stuffed back into the folder but I rather that than the students stepping on them. "Thanks."

"No problem bestie." She says excitedly while throwing her arm over my shoulder. When Cleo realizes I'm the least bit enthusiastic she frowns. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I lied. Unlocking my locker again I stuff the folder in amongst my books and other irrelevant items that probably should have been thrown away since last year. "What are you doing here, shouldn't you have left already?"

"Yea, I'm waiting on my dad. He's running late, there was a problem at the station."

Picking up my bag from the ground we began walking towards the front of the school. Exiting the building me and Cleo stand along the front entrance waiting for our rides to come.

"Sooooo, what have you been up to lately? We haven't talked much outside of school for the past week." Cleo says.

It's true. After our slight disagreement over whether or not I should be allowed to do normal teenage things, me and Clotilde haven't really been speaking to each other as much. It didn't bother me though because that's just how it is between us. It's not the first time and it surely won't be the last.

Plus it's not like I've been bored or anything. Paris has been keeping me plenty entertained all week. I figure that makes me a bad friend but I can't help that I only want to be bothered by just him, he's the only one making this month tolerable.

My mom, she's been moody and drinking 24/7. I heard her and Archer get in an argument last night about the whole pastor Simmons thing. She's still not over his death; it's like she's obsessing over it. The man's been dead for going on nine days, but I guess knowing that she'll have to go to his funeral is what's causing all the heartache.

"Life's been the same for me Cleo."

"So boring and miserable." She nervously laughs but I don't find humor in the fact that it's the truth.

"I suppose."

An all black Mercedes Benz pulls around the roundabout and I hear the familiar sound of Chase Atlantic coming closer. Biting at my lip butterflies swarm my stomach, a newly appreciated warmth filling me. "Uh, Cleo I'll call you later."

"Wait, your ride isn't even here—."

"I'll call you later." I repeat, squeezing her arm. "Love you."