Thirty Five: Brainwashed

Sable Rae

After lunch I showered and got myself all ready to see my parents.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I don't know the first thing to say when they actually get here because to them their child has been gone for eight days and they had no real knowledge of what's happening except for what everyone else is telling.

To me, I've only been gone for two days. Two days that's been a roller coaster of emotions. From having to deal with Paris and his craziness to also worrying about what his craziness is turning me into. Even after him damn near killing me in that shower the thought of me keeping away from him never crossed my mind.

Esme never actually came out and said it but from the look she gave me after I cracked and told her what happened, I knew she wanted to tell me to get the hell away before it was too late.

I couldn't just up and leave— everything feels different with Paris. I feel free and I can be myself around him. Maybe that's why I'm also willing to overlook the situation with the other woman as well. I know he keeps saying that it's nothing but I feel like it can't just be that simple.

Pulling my hair into a bun I hear the doorbell ring. Paris was still in the shower so I actually had to go and open the door.

"Okay Sable, you've got this." I mumbled to myself on my way out the room. "It's just your parents. They love you so much, there's nothing to be scared of."

There was everything to be scared of but I had to tell myself something different or else I wouldn't open that door. Taking careful steps downstairs I take my time and when I finally make it across the living room I'm a nervous wreck.

Disarming the alarm as well as unlocking the door apparently I wasn't moving fast enough because one of them started banging. I'm sure it's my mother, she's the only one with that particular knocking pattern. I know it because I've been hearing it for years.

Pulling the door open, I'm greeted by them both except they aren't actually paying me any attention. From the looks at it Iris and Samuel were about ten seconds from tearing each other's throat out.

"This is all your fucking fault, if you'd have just been a decent father she wouldn't have even thought it'd be okay to go and get caught up with some thug!"

"How are you blaming me when clearly you're the problem! I'm not the one working her half dead— no, that's her mother!"

"Guys." I tried.

"You knew she'd started messing with boys and you didn't even tell me!"

"It's none of your business, maybe she didn't tell you for a reason! Ever thought of that?!"

"Guys!" I yelled. Dad was the first to snap his head my way, his tired eyes meeting my own.

Mom gasped, throwing my father out of her way and pulling my body against hers. She buried my head into her chest and I felt her body shake as she began her crying. "Sable, sweetheart!"

I awkwardly pat her back to console her. I felt the embrace of dad as well as he put his arms around us. This is the closest the three of us have ever been— it was weird but refreshing nonetheless.