Twenty Nine: Sick

Paris Delaney

(4 days later)

"The Banetti's should have arrived at the restaurant by now. Paris, do you have the Don's plans for the bar?"

I rubbed at my temples, Asena's voice causing my already throbbing head to hurt more. She hadn't shut up since we left the house this morning— at  7 o'clock no one should be speaking. That's time for just sitting and thinking.

"Paris, you can't screw up this meeting. Your uncle has worked really hard on securing this. The Banetti's are important people, you mess this up and they'll never want to work with us again."

Removing the shades from my face, I tossed them on the seat beside me. "Stop dick riding. You think everyone in the mafia is important, when really they're not. People will do anything for a price Asena including the Banetti's. I can buy anyone, you just have to know what the fuck to say."

"But he said—."

"Martin." I called for the driver, cutting her off. He rolled down the partition. "Pull over. Let me out."

"Yes sir."

The car reared to the right of the road before coming to a stop. "Where are you going, we're going to be late!"

I opened the car door to get out. "It's no way in hell anyone is at that restaurant this early. Maybe their assistants but not the Banetti's. You waste your time because I'm not wasting mine. Iverson, text me when someone with some real authority actually shows up."

The silent man nods at me before returning to his computer. I slammed the door shut before Asena could say any more bullshit and Martin pulled off.

Stuffing my hands into the pockets of my slacks I walked along the sidewalk. I noticed a few minutes ago the streets and how far we were from Sable's house. It's about a five minute walk from here to there.

((()))

Softly I shut the window, the soft click small and barely audible.

My first instinct is to turn off the fan in the corner of the room. It was freezing in here. Sable slept like she was hibernating, her head tucked underneath the covers as well as another blanket. Checking to make sure the door was locked, afterwards I walked over towards her bed.

Pulling the blanket down from her face I broke the shield of warmth she'd created, letting in all the cold air. She whined a bit but I didn't care. I wanted to see her. Getting in the bed I laid down beside her, facing her, staring at her.

She's so beautiful, it's hard not to stare.

Lightly I brushed tendrils of hair from her face, letting my fingers skim her cheek. Her skin is soft— her face gaining more color and fat. The realization causes relief to flood through my body, and I'm proud that she hadn't stopped eating just because I wasn't around. Every day she'll send me pictures of her eating different foods, even on the days I wouldn't respond.

It's been a week since we last saw each other.

A week since I last kissed her. Since I last touched her.

It's been too damn long.

Slowly I start to feel myself drift off to sleep. Other than pain, whenever I was next to Sable Rae I could sleep for hours. She brought comfort and warmth and peace. She was everything my dark mind needed to keep calm and brave my inner turmoil. It was as if every bad thing about me didn't exist next to her. She's bright and happy and.... Everything I'm not.