One: Consecutive Years

Kane Delaney

Glaring ahead through the glass window— my wife sat on the other side bouncing a fat cheeked baby on her knee.

The thing was staring quizzically at me, drool dripping down its chin. His blue eyes were bright, his cheeks cherry red with splotches of freckles.

She was cooing disturbingly at the child before her green specs made their way to my brown ones. Gaia smiled, picking up the black phone from its holder and pressing it to her ear.

Wetting my bottom lip I shook the urge to scream obscenities and grabbed the phone tightly in my hand. "Gaia." I acknowledged.

The guard just a few feet behind her couldn't take his eyes off the back of her head. Strangely it was the same eyes as the infants. You could tell from how spaced out and lazy they were. It was no surprise that my wife was a cheating whore, fuck I was no where near faithful but I'd never stoop so low as to shagging some dirty cop.

"How have you been my love?" She asks, sweetness dripping from her voice. She's always had that voice of an angel. It's a shame I knew the truth though because Gaia was everything but pure and nice.

Skipping the pleasantries, I ignore her ignorant ass question. I'm in a maximum prison facility, how does she think I've been? "Where's the kid?"

Rolling her eyes she sighs. "You could at least ask me how I've been— I haven't spoken to my husband in months. It would be nice to know that he still cares about me."

"If I didn't care you'd be homeless, probably still prostituting or somewhere dead. You're taken care of. I don't see what you're complaining about."

"I'm complaining you ass because you treat me like shit, like I don't exist." She sneers, those manic eyes going wide. "Maybe I need more than just money to be happy, I want you to actually acknowledge me!"

The child starts crying from her tight hold on him and I watch boredly as officer Jerry comes running. It's a father's instinct to protect his child. Gaia offers him apologetic eyes, handing the blonde boy off to the man. Jerry looks at me for a split second, a wisp of a smirk playing on his thin lips.

I could only plan his death in my head knowing that when I finally do get out of this place he'd be the first to taste the steel of a bullet down his throat. I'd make it bloody, and Gaia would have front row seats.

Leaning forward I hated the fact that there was this glass separating us. I wanted to choke the ever living life from my wife's body. "I don't see you for damn near a year and now when you finally do show up it's with some other man's baby."

"Oh please, Jerry is just a friend." She lies.

"Bitch let me explain to you the math." I chuckled darkly, my fist hitting the glass. "I've been here seven consecutive years— you do know how long consecutive is don't you? That means one right after the fucking other and I ain't never missed a day. Do I look dumb to you or are you really just that fucked in the head to believe that I'd believe whatever bullshit you try and sell me?"

Gaia slams the phone back in place, her face beet red. "You know what, fuck you Kane! I don't have to take this shit. You're going to die in this prison and I will not let you drag me down waiting on false promises. I want a divorce!"