41| Firework Festival (Part 3)

Remember what I said in chapter 35 being the longest chapter I've written? Yeah, scratch that, this is currently the longest chapter in the book.

~To The Story~

"(Y/n), It's not here. Are you sure you didn't drop it somewhere?"

You sighed annoyingly at your best friend as you returned from looking under the bench. Before you said anything, you dusted some dirt from your yukata.

"I swear, it was right there." You pointed strongly at the empty spot on the bench where you last saw your toy. "It couldn't have just got up and walked away." You wiggled your fingers mystically.

Naoki blew out his cheeks and glanced around for one last look. No panda in sight.

"Well, I don't see it anywhere." He says, unsure what to tell you.

Your shoulders dropped.

Shoyo fiddled with his fingers. "Why don't we re-trace our steps?"

"But I didn't drop it." You insisted.

"Then someone probably stole it," Naoki says. "You don't pay attention to your surroundings sometimes."

You threw Naoki a look. You wanted to flat-out deny it, but it is the only explanation.

You're sure that you had the panda in your hand the entire time. You only put it down when you and your friends sat down to eat. You placed your panda off to the side because you didn't want to get food on it.

Naoki left to get some napkins, and you started talking and joking around with Shoyo... You were distracted so... Maybe someone did steal it.

You crinkled your chin, finding it rather difficult to look at Shoyo when you accepted the idea that your panda was stolen because you weren't paying much attention to it.

"I'm sorry, Shoyo-kun," you said sadly eventually meeting his eyes.

"Huh?" He arches his eyebrows in surprise. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because you got that for me and lost it. I swear I'm not this careless when someone gives me a gift." You said with conviction.

"You lost the shirt I gave you last summer." Naoki deadpanned.

"Shh!" You hissed. "Naoki!"

And it's not lost. You're pretty sure it's somewhere in your closet.

...Somewhere.

"It's okay, (y/n)-san." Shoyo smiles reassuringly. "It happens to the best of us."

Shoyo is so nice, that you doubt he would hold it against you. But that doesn't sit right with you. He won that for you, and you just lost it. It makes you feel as though you don't care enough about the gift.

"Just in case, I'll look around to see if I dropped it." You said.

Before the two boys could even weigh in, you ran off, but not before almost tripping.

Shoyo sighed and scratched his head. He's flattered that bear mattered to you so much, but it's not worth you running around when instead you could be using that time to enjoy the festival.

"Should we go after her?" Shoyo looked at Naoki for answers.

"She'll eventually come back," Naoki replies casually. "Why don't you use this chance to win her another prize? She might lose it a second time... but at least you'll impress her again."

Shoyo surpassed a laugh. "Pfft, you better hope she doesn't hear you say that. Anyway, I wish I could win her another one... but you know I suck at these games. I'd be lucky to win her a goldfish, or one of those small toys."