7| A Step In The Right Direction

~To The Story~

"Hi, Asano-kun."

"Hello."

Watching that scene from afar, you inwardly grimaced at the sight. You weren't spying on Gakushu. You were in the same spot for the past five minutes and you happened to see Gakushu walking past two girls who were greeting him and giggled when they were out of his eye line outside at the school's courtyard. You saw the whole thing from the window and without Gakushu noticing you or envious eyes of how he smiled at the girls.

"Hey, Naoki." You said, your arms dangling over the window sill, and eyes still gazing out at the yard and watching Gakushu disappear to another direction. "You don't think Gakushu-kun has a secret girlfriend?"

"Hm?" Your friend peered down at you, his back facing the window unlike you and had his elbows rested on the window sill. "Uh, I don't know." He shrugged, taking a sip of his soda. "It wouldn't be that far fetched. Why you asked?"

You shrugged, still not eyeing your friend who on the other hand had his eyes on you. By your lack of a verbal response, Naoki got the feeling he already knew the answer.

"You still like him don't you?" From that question, you felt your cheeks getting warmer. "I thought you said you got over it."

You sighed. You do recall telling him those words. You yourself thought you were over your schoolgirl crush on him. You thought it was gone, but then... WHAM! It all came rushing back ever since you've been talking to the handsome strawberry blond.

"Yeah, I guess I'm not really over it," you confessed.

For all you know, that small little crush on him probably never even went away. It was just hidden somewhere in your heart, only to pop out once again.

"Ah, it happens." He smiled, finding your innocent schoolgirl crush pretty adorable. "You gonna confess to him?"

"What?" Your eyes shot to where he is, your body posture straight as an arrow. "No way!" You said a bit louder than you expected.

"Why not?"

"Because he rejected half of the girls in our school. What makes you think he won't do the same to me?" You pointed at yourself.

"I would agree to go out with you if you asked me out."

You merely rolled your eyes. "Naoki, you would go out with any girl who gives you attention."

Naoki spluttered. "D-don't word it like that. You're making me sound desperate."

"Whatever." You scoffed. "And anyway, I'm fine with not confessing to him. I think it's better that way." You said in a way to convince yourself.

"Mh..." Naoki hummed, having an unsure look on him, and thinking it isn't good if you were to keep you feeling bottled up, especially if you plan to see Gakushu more often. He threw his head back to finish the rest of his soda from the can. "Okay, but what will you do if he does or gets a girlfriend?"

"... Then, well, that's fine. I'll just accept it."

Naoki tossed the empty soda can into the nearest trash can from the hallway like he was a basketball player. "Easier said than done, buddy."

You didn't bother saying anything else and just let out a lofty sigh, your arms dangling over the window sill again. Your eyes gazing out at the field where you last saw Gakushu.

You don't see yourself confessing to the strawberry blond, nor do you see him accepting your feelings. Your self-esteem wasn't high enough to give you the mentality of believing that you could even have a chance with someone as perfect as Gakushu.