Chapter 41- Ebony

I watched Kennedy half run half walk down the hallway. I've only heard her talked about by name but she was not what I was expecting. She was young, closer to my age than probably anyone else here. She had luscious ginger curls  surrounding a gorgeous caramel complexion and pretty green eyes. She was very exotic and absolutely gorgeous.

I don't know why I was feeling a twinge of jealousy all of a sudden. I know she was with three other men and was getting married but knowing she worked so close to Leon was unsettling. I know my girly brain was out to get me because Leon would never cheat. But I couldn't help but think about the idea of them working late together, alone.

I turned from looking at her to catch Leon's assessing gaze. I haven't really looked at him much since the hospital. He was such a beautiful man and to have his full attention on me right now was a lot. It was like he knew what I was thinking. I looked away and continued towards the elevator.

He followed me silently, stepping on the elevator behind me and hitting the button. I studied him while he watched the numbers go down. I was being stupid, this man treated me like Queen and I wouldn't even look at him. After we left the hospital I was so overwhelmed with guilt that I almost left again but I knew I couldn't. We didn't even talk about what had happened. But I didn't let them, I avoided having any type of conversations.

I needed to stop avoiding them and face whatever would come from this. It's been 3 weeks since James and Joseph were taken away. I honestly don't know what happened. There were no police except to ask about the accident, it's like it didn't happen.

Leon stepped off the elevator onto a suspiciously quiet floor. But when I looked around I realized its because no one worked on it. It was very large just like the other floors but it was just a wide open space.

"Lots of potential." Leon said quietly. I nodded. There were 3 bathrooms on the floor. One private in a small office around the corner and 2 large ones on either side of the floor.

"I could see this working. I would have to draw up plans and maybe work a construction team." I said walking over the large floor to ceiling windows. When Kyle told me his plan I was so excited but I didn't show it. This would be the ultimate dream job. I had been so excited to work with Harmony and was very down about the fact I wouldn't but still happy she got into an amazing program. But this, this job takes the cake for sure. Until I sign official papers I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

"I'm sure Kyle has someone, there was a company that did all the construction for them here when they first bought this building." Leon said leaning against a wall. I nodded momentarily speechless when I looked at him. My mind flashed back to the first time I had met Leon at the hotel and how my stomach fluttered with butterflies from looking at him almost like it was doing right now.

Why am I so nervous right now with my own man?

"Ebony." Leon said softly bringing me back to the here and now.

"Yeah?"

"What's going on?" He said softly. "We went through hell and back and it feels like you never came back." He took a few steps towards me. "Then Harmony asked if you would be her mom and it seems like you freaked out even more."

My eyebrows shot up, I remembered her asking but I thought she was joking. Was she serious about wanting me to fill that role? I hadn't been bothered by that, I was more so aware of how close Kyle and Leon were and how well Harmony flocked to Kyle. I loved to see it especially knowing he wanted kids but something about seeing it made it very different. I took a small step towards Leon who now looked like he was bracing himself for a blow. I was about to respond when the elevator pinged and the doors opened.