Chapter 9

The third class ended and it was time to head to lunch. Jack already left and realized he forgot his lunch. He sighed and hoped this day couldn't get any worse than it is.

Orion: *Mind* Hey Jack. Look in your backpack.

Jack was glad his locker and entrance to the academy was close. He headed to his locker and opened it. Jack unzipped his backpack and saw his lunch.

Jack: *Mind* Thanks Orion

Orion: *Mind* No problem kid.

Jack headed to the yard to eat outside. When he got there, he noticed Zill and others. Jack didn't see Damian there at all.

Jack: Damian must have brought his lunch with him somewhere. I don't know where he is though.

Jack saw a bench that was away from them and sat down. He had two ham sandwiches in his lunchbox.

Jack: *Mind* Did you make this Orion?

Orion:*Mind* Yeah I did. You forgot to make your lunch.

Jack:*Mind* Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Orion:*Mind* You're welcome Jack.

The others didn't know where Jack was. They were hoping he was okay. After all, his bad luck could have hurt him badly.

Zill: Has anyone seen Jack at all?

Spam: No. I wish he was here eating lunch with us.

Vanexa: Hey, where's Damian?

Zill: Zech's office. He has been sad that Jack yelled at him.

Spam: Jack yelled at him? For what?

Zill: I believe Jack was getting tired of Damian annoying him.

Vanexa: Jack usually deals with it. Now, he snaps at him?

Zill: I don't know. I feel like Jack is not himself today.

Spam: Maybe he had a bad day. Is there a way to cheer him up?

Spam: Maybe we can all hang out after our practice is over.

Zill: Good idea Spam.

He looked over at Kayla and noticed she looked sad.

Zill: Kayla? Is everything okay?

Kayla: I'm fine.

Zill: Okay. If you say so.

She doesn't want to admit it, but she was worried about Damian. When she saw him for the first time, she actually had a crush on him. She just couldn't admit her feelings.

When Damian said he was a demon, she was afraid. Kayla was worried that he would kill her. But, soon realized he needed a chance.

Kayla looked up and saw Jack sitting alone. They all looked sad at the fact he wasn't with them.

Spam: Why isn't Jack with us?

Kayla: I don't know. I think this is his first time sitting alone.

Vanexa: There has to be a reason why.

Zill: I'll ask him later.

Jack got done eating his first ham sandwich and was about to eat the next one. Suddenly, Rusty sat next to him and Jack noticed something off.

Jack: You okay?

Rusty: I don't know.

Jack: Well, tell me what's wrong.

Rusty: Okay. Jack, I'm sorry for bullying you since we were kids. It's just I haven't been the same since my parents passed away.

Jack: I'm sorry to hear that. Do you live with anyone right now?

Rusty: I live with Autumn. I'm his adopted brother.

Jack: I thought you guys were enemies.

Rusty: That's how people see us. We are actually somewhat best friends.

Jack handed a sandwich to Rusty.

Jack: Hungry?

Rusty: Thanks.

Rusty took a bite out of the sandwich and began to eat.

Jack: You know, I feel like something isn't right.

Rusty swallowed the food he had and looked at Jack.

Rusty: What do you mean?

Jack: I feel like my friends aren't actually my friends. They think I'm just some bad luck charm.

Rusty: That's not how I see you. I see someone who is kind, funny, and extremely handsome.

Rusty put his hand over his mouth realizing what he said. Jack looked at him and smirked. Jack got closer and Rusty covered his eyes in embarrassment.

Jack: You really find me handsome?

Rusty: Yeah. When I saw you, I wanted to be with you for the rest of our lives. My parents were really homophobic at the time.

Jack: Your biological parents?

Rusty: Yeah. They didn't like that I had a crush on you.

Jack: But, do your adoptive mom and dad accept you for who you are?

Rusty: They do. I felt like they would be just like my real mom and dad, but they never acted like that at all.

Jack: I'm just glad they accept you for who you are and not what you should be.

Rusty: Yeah. I'm glad too.