Chapter 17 : Nonna Knows

In the intricate tango of life, Anntonia had mastered the art of selecting her battles—a skill passed down from her enigmatic stepfather. Leonel always told Ann that 'money and secrets often entwine, and in the dance of alliances, one may find that a most trusted partner can also become your most dangerous foe'.

Right now, Ann didn't have any words to express how she felt deep inside. Her mind left her feeling disoriented and vulnerable. The assault on her heart was like a silent ambush that seemed to unravel her innermost traumas. And in the midst of her silent breakdown, she was left without a compass — uncertain of a clear path to navigate through a tumultuous sea of emotions.

"Damn it!" Anntonia muttered as the serving fork for the chicken slipped from her hand, clanging loudly on the floor.

Just as she was about to retrieve it, a hand swiftly slapped her wrist.

"Ouch".

"No! Non lo raccogliere. Don't pick it up. Dirty," an old woman with white hair and plump reddish cheeks said.

Anntonia straightened up, her eyes wide and gazing at the old person beside her.

"You always like to get things that already fell on the floor. I've seen you do that before....And where have you been?"

"Sorry, a habit." Anntonia smiled. "Happy birthday, Nonna."

Nonna patted Ann's cheek and looped their arms together, guiding them toward the patio with the other guests. "I asked Chele to cook. It's been a while since that girl made something in the kitchen". The old woman grinned at Anntonia.

"Uhm... it's buono. The food is really good", the former hotel heiress nodded. "She had always been great at it...", her whispers trailed.

"What's your name again?" The old matriarch scrunched her nose while searching for Anntonia's eyes.

"Anntonia".

"Ah, sì. You went with Chele before."

"Sì, nonna. Christmas, two years ago." A glint of joy sparkled in Anntonia's eyes. "You still remember?"

Nonna grinned and nodded. "Of course, bella. I will never forget when you and Chele almost destroyed my little tomato farm". The old woman chuckled. "Why roll around the garden during winter?"

Anntonia gulped and had the urge to look elsewhere.

"You look thinner. You should be eating more food".

"Mama! There you are! I've been looking all over for you". A shorter woman approached them, her eyes filled with concern.

"Relax, Luisa. Give me a break. My buttocks already hurt from sitting down and eating. I wanted to walk alone. Where's Chele?"

"She's with a friend, in the vineyard—", Luisa quickly glanced at Anntonia.

"Anntonia? I—I didn't know you're here. Chele didn't tell me anything—hay, bata na yun oh".

"It wasn't Ce—", Anntonia stopped as her eyes softened. And just in time, Celeste was on her way back to the party from strolling around their tomato farm with Michelle.

"Ah, there's my little Chele". Nonna smiled when she caught sight of her granddaughter. She waved at the younger Cortesi to join them.

"Ciao", Celeste pursed her lips and avoided any eye contact with her ex-girlfriend. On the contrary, Michelle observed her business partner's unusual mannerisms—Anntonia was slightly fidgeting, hands constantly being taken in and out the pockets of her ivory-colored satin pants. Michelle remained intrigued and continued to glance at her business partner.