Chapter 10: Beyond The Horizon

Note: Don't forget to read chapter 9 before this! Multiple updates ulit tayo 🥳

"Ang cute naman. Yayain ko nga si Amanda dito. I want to put a lock with our names. It's sweet, diba?" Rabiya's fingers glided the numerous gold and silver padlocks that adorned the black gates along Palazzo Vecchio in Florence.

Celeste frowned. "I really don't like those things. I think it's just a gimmick to sell more locks. Prices of padlocks nearby areas like this are ridiculous. I'm sure some of those who added their padlocks have separated".

"Huy, grabe naman. Hindi naman siguro. Ang dami doon sa isang gate oh", the Filipina pouted and wrapped her arm around Celeste as they walked around the renaissance statues near the Palazzo — one of which was a bronze sculpture of the demigod Perseus carrying the head of Medusa, her decapitated body on his feet.

"Have you ever wondered paano nagagawa ng mga tao dati yung mga ganito? Ang galing eh", Rabiya pointed at the sculpture. "Tingnan mo, oh. Pati yung putotot nga parang totoo".

Celeste furrowed her brows and looked incredulous at her friend, "wait, I thought——you've seen one?"

The Filipina pouted. "Two", she replied. "Hay, naku. Let's not go back to those days".

"You miss it?"

"No". Rabiya said immediately and went closer to the sculpture of the naked demigod before facing her friend once again. "Actually, I never liked it. Ikaw?"

Cele shrugged. "For a time I thought I craved for it, but....", she pursed her lips and smiled at Rabiya, but her eyes had a certain emptiness in it. "I realized maybe I was after a feeling. That it didn't matter what my partner had — down there. I just want a real emotional connection with someone on a deeper level. Like intimacy".

"Sa bagay, tama ka. I don't think I'll ever want somebody else beside me at night aside from Amanda", Rab smiled softly. "Kahit naka higa lang kami, walang ginagawa, basta alam ko katabi ko siya, masaya na ako".

"I'm glad you found your person," Celeste said with a warm smile.

Rabiya nodded as they both examined a statue of Hercules. She gently took Cele's hand in her own.

"I'm sure you'll be able to find yours soon," Rabiya reassured her friend.

Celeste chuckled softly. "I don't know...maybe I should just retire. Maybe I'm meant to be alone".

"Eme ka, Chele. Ang dami ngang nag-kakagusto sayo," Rabiya teased, playfully hitting Celeste's uninjured arm.

"Ouch".

"Sorry", Rab giggled and massaged the Fil-Italian's arm.

"So, what's new with Michelle?" Rabiya's eyes crinkled as she giggled, making Celeste shake her head.

"Nothing."

"Wala? Anong nothing? Hindi na siya tumawag?" Rabiya's excitement was palpable.

"Well, we are talking," Celeste began, only to be interrupted by Rabiya's delighted squeal.

"Tapos?" Rabiya eagerly urged.

The Filipina-Italian shrugged, a subtle blush tinting her face. She slid her hands into the pockets of her beige coat. "Nothing. We're just talking about different things until my casts are removed so we can go out".

"Bakit kailangan matanggal muna yan before you see her? Oh my God! Maybe this is it!"

Celeste took a deep breath, her eyes scanning the surroundings as if searching for the right words. "I mean, it's nice to be asked out, you know, but..."