Chapter 12 : The Invite

Autumn has always been Celeste's favorite season. Grapevines have turned its leaves into a tantalizing shade that resembles the Tuscan sunset. She swipes an old picking knife, cutting through the vines of plump red grapes, then laid it down into a nearby basket. Cele smiles at her modest yield.

After a several hours of harvest, she brought the grapes into the cellar where her Nonna welcomed her with quad-kisses on the cheek. A good hefty plate of tortellini plus a glass of red wine, all her father's favorite, were waiting on the table outside.

Celeste had always thought of rekindling her Italian roots and she was more than glad to have finally taken a step forward to reacquaint with her father's family after a tumultuous couple of years in Bangkok and Parma. What transpired those past few years were the most difficult for her. Apart from nursing and recuperating from a disastrous fallout and heartache, she mostly suffered upon losing what was her blood and sweat — the closing of her family's Filipino restaurant in Bangkok — it was the final straw for Celeste to breakdown and crumble, resulting for her and her mother to fly back to her late father's home in Parma, a province just north of Tuscany.

Despite receiving help from her friends to get a lawyer and seek out justice, they couldn't save 'Viva Filipinas'. The opposition behind the closing was too influential and powerful. And now, only memories of the past exist in her melancholy mind.

"You have to come". Virginia, her cousin who came all the way from Copenhagen sat on the rustic dining bench and tugged Celeste's hand gently, causing the Fil-Italian to settle beside the younger woman.  "Please, Cele".

Her cousin's gaze was soft to a point of begging. Celeste's eyes studied the slender olive-skinned hand on top of hers. "It'll be fun, I promise. I heard some cute guys are coming".

Celeste regarded her cousin's brown eyes and sighed.

"Fine", she forced a smile. "I cannot commit that I can stay long though. You know I have to help nonna with the harvest in the morning".

"I know, I know". Virginia smiled kindly at her cousin. She held the other woman's hands and squeezed it tightly — reassuring Celeste. "We can eat...then run if you want. Alberto throws the best parties in town".

The Filipina-Italian chuckled, covering her pinkish lips.

"Why is he even throwing a big party? His birthday's in December".

Virginia shrugged, but started to smile widely at Celeste. "I'm not really sure, but Luca told me they finally sold the villa".

Cele's eyes widened and stared directly into Virginia's. "All of it?"

"Mmmhmm".

"That's a lot of money, and everything will go to Alberto and Luca?" The Filipina-Italian's jaw dropped.

"That's right. Can you imagine? Who would've thought those two lanky boys would end up becoming multi-millionaires? They don't even really care about the villa and the vineyard. Lucky, right?"

Celeste furrowed her brows. Thinking if she was in the same position as her nonna's nearest neighbors, would she even be happy with all the new money if it meant she'd lose a family property? It made her heart ache, recalling her own loss — but at least in Alberto and Luca's case, it was voluntary and being compensated rightfully.

"Hey...". Virginia touched Cele's shoulder, realizing what her cousin might be contemplating. "I'm really sorry about the restaurant. I know it was so important to you and Aunt Luisa".

Celeste shook her head, smiling at the same time she held her cousin's hand—patting it before placing a soft kiss on top. "Thank you".

Virginia gently pulled her cousin in for a long hug. "You have us now. Oh, and I wish you'll get the job in Firenze....", she pushed her cousin at arms length and gazed into Celeste's lonesome but wide eyes. "You're a great chef, Chele. Very good and so much better than me. I hope you remember that".