Chapter 5 : Unexpectedly Covered

Celeste's been staring at her food tray for about a minute — a plate of gnocchi with tomato sauce and basil, green apple and a plum. She has been eating the same food for the past two days. The Filipina-Italian really wanted to get out of the hospital and find the nearest pizzeria so she could eat all the pizza she's been craving for to her heart's content. If only her legs and arm weren't wrapped in a splint, she would've ran out the hospital already.

The door to her room suddenly opened, causing her to flinch, but her lips quickly erupted into a big smile.

"Cele!" Rabiya yelled - a sparkle can be seen in her brown eyes. The Filipina ran towards Celeste's bed and hugged her dear friend.

Celeste embraced Rabiya tightly and a rush of relief washed over her. She missed her friend so much.

"I'm really glad you're here". She sobbed.

Rabiya rubbed the back of her friend before looking at Celeste's watering eyes. The Filipina caressed her friend's cheeks softly. "We'll never leave you alone—you know that! But what happened?! Why—I thought you're in Parma?"

Celeste sighed and wiped her eyes and nose. "It's a long story, Rab".

"I've travelled for hours to get to you...I think I have all the time in the world to know your whys. You can tell me. I will not judge you". Rabiya smiled softly, stroking a strand of her friend's hair. "How are you feeling?"

"Horrible...", the Filipina-Italian frowned. "Look at me".

"Aw, babe. You still look amazingly pretty. Tingin ko nga if ako yung nabangga ng motorsiklo, mukha na akong taong grasa. Pag gising ko nga minsan sa umaga, nagugulat pa si Amanda". Rabiya pouted making Cele chuckle a bit.

"How come?"

"Mukha kayang nakuryente lagi yung buhok ko in the morning. Then, on top of it all, nakasimangot pa ako pag gising. I mean, I always have a rough night because of Amara. Hindi nga ako makatulog minsan".

"What did my Charlie do now?"

Rabiya rolled her eyes and then sat on the chair nearest to the patient's bed. "Your goddaughter? Dios ko, sobrang kulit! Charlie's just turning two but — grabe parang hindi nauubusan ng gasolina. Manang-mana sa mommy niya. Every night, she will not go to bed until she dances. But, that's not why I couldn't sleep. First, she doesn't like to sleep in her own bed pa rin, so she stays every night in between Amanda and I. Galaw ng galaw! Tapos, mga around two or three in the morning, laging gumagapang on my face for some reason and then doon lang siya tumatahimik tapos matutulog ng mahimbing — while her belly is on my head".

Celeste bursted, shedding tears of laughter this time around. "How do you even breathe?"

Rabiya shook her head. "Wala. I just move my head and pray my daughter won't slap my face", she chuckled. "But I love her to death. She's our little angel you know that and mas okay na if ako yung hindi nakakatulog, rather than yung anak ko. I'd do anything for my family".

Celeste smiled despite the loneliness in her eyes.

Then Rabiya took her hand, patting it gently. "That's also why I am here, Cele. You are part of the family, too".

The two women shared a moment of comfortable silence with Rabiya understanding the inner storm her friend has been in. Celeste may not be very vocal about her feelings, but the intense gloom in her demeanor was the sign Rabiya needed to know that Celeste was in dire need of help once again.